A bit of bother ......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Riding home yesterday evening from work just after 6pm. Was cycling on the shared use cycle path running down the Milton Road up to the GBW. Crossing the last side road before getting on the GBW, go behind a white Ford Connect van waiting to turn right (I thought) onto Milton Road toward town. Carried on my way. Next thing this white van, I think it was this one, is speeding up Milton Road blowing horn agressively and some oink shouting verbals out the window. Look round and next thing he drives straight at me across the bus lane and then the cycle lane right infront of the AMG car dealership. I thought he was going to take me out. I scream and swerve to avoid being hit narrowly missing a couple of peds walking towards me on the shared path I am on. A guy in a dirty SportsDirect out fit of tracky bottoms and sweat shirt jumps out and comes straight after me shouting verbals and gesticulating violently. I don't hang around and sprint the last 50 yards to the safety of the start of the GBW. He is back in the van chasing after me blowing the horn repeatedly and aggressively. I haven't the foggiest what it was all about but one thing's for sure he drove at me trying to knock me off. There was another male in the passenger seat, both looked about 20-25yrs old and thug like. I was a bit nervous as I approached the CRC and Histon interchanges just in case they had sped round to wait for me there although given they would have had to use the A14 I thought it unlikely they would make it before I went through as it is generally grid lock at that time. Heart was in my mouth as I approached, eyeballs on cocktails sticks, stop for no one. For most of the way home which I did in 35 mins due to a strong following wind couldn't stop thinking about what had just happened. He must have been inches from taking me out. Unfortunately no opportunity to take reg details, not that I would report it anyway. Just glad to be alive and unharmed.

There are some real nutters out there. And only last week the Cambridge Evening news had run a front page story about hatred and violence towards cyclists. Shocking and unfortunately a more common occurrence than is realised .

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Glad to hear you made it through okay.

Last night I had a van about 30cm from my rear wheel while the driver gesticulated that I should be on the pavement.

Mad.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I've read about and seen a few instances of this in Melbourne, although not that extreme :eek:. Best wishes, mate, and I hope it doesn't linger with you too long. I tend to stew over incidents like these more than I should, and hate to hear about it happening to others.

Kies

You were behind it and then he is chasing you?
No excuse for his behaviour at all,but i'm guessing he didn't like your overtake for some reason!
Scary incident - stay safe

BSRU

A Human Being
There seems to be to many people on our roads these days with anger management problems who fly off the handle for no reason, unfortunately many of them are in a deadly metal box.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Can you describe what you did again it's not clear to me what happened, you stay on the cycle path yet this driver takes offence?

chqshaitan

Guru
damn mate, glad you are okay, totally out of line, cant understand why he would go irate like that at you.

Top Bottom