A cashless society?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Is your use of cash declining?

A few stories recently about cashpoint machines closing due to lack of use, leading to fears those who still rely on cash could be disenfranchised.

I'm far from an early adopter of card or contactless payments, but they have crept up on me in the last year or so.

That's partly due to a recent general change in attitude amongst retailers - I no longer get scowled at if I want to use a card to buy something for a couple of quid.

It's reached the point that when I went to withdraw cash the other day I struggled to remember the card's PIN number.

What's happening to your use of cash?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Definitely on the decline for me too. Must remember to go and get some before Tuesday for a hair cut though as my hairdresser doesn't use card payments yet.......at least she didn't the last time I asked. Only the odd occasion I seem to need it now. Still doesn't feel right not to have a few notes just in case :laugh:

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Agreed, cash still required for some smaller independent businesses.

Although when I stopped at a burger van on a ride a couple of months ago, I saw there was a card machine on the counter.

I always used to use cash for the £1.70 car toll at the Tyne Tunnel, but they now take contactless.

Seems to me more car parks take cards as well these days.

But like you, I still like to carry a few quid in coins and some notes.

Slick

Guru
Cash is King, was pretty much how I lived my life up until about a year ago as I've pretty much always had a fear of not having enough. Everything is contactless now even the golf club doesn't take cash, it takes a pre paid membership card and I've just got out the habit of using cash now which was pretty embarrassing when someone was selling raffle tickets and I was potless. I still get nervous when I've no cash but the truth is nobody wants it. I still remember the good old days when you could negotiate a hefty discount for cash but now they just sneer at the thought.

tom73

Guru
Mostly cashless Over the last few years now. Hardly take my wallet out with me now. Apple pay via my Apple watch means I've all ways got my cards on me. Having all but given up on high Street banks and moved over to an App based one has speeded up my move to almost 100% cashless. Still carry some cards for when I need cash.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I get £50 out every 2-3 weeks. I keep £20 in my cycling wallet for cafes which don't take cash and another £20 in my saddle bag for an absolute total emergency yet to be encountered.

I'm almost cashless but might use cash in a pub, very small purchase in convenience store, our local sports and social club.

With virtually every payment showing in the bank I have much better understanding of how and where I spend.

I like Googlepay but don't use it much, mainly when I've gone out and forgotten my wallet.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
The cashless society has already arrived for the busker i saw a couple if weeks ago. He had a card reader for donations!

Levo-Lon

Guru
I haven't used a cash machine for well over a year.
I used to draw cash to go to my local, I haven't been in it for 18 MTH ,I use debit card if I'm out.

Cashless society will hurt criminals, drug users ,elderly and the homeless most.

Sadly it will see All banks probably close all their branches, not that there is any now.

Good point is it will fook criminals like scamming door knockers thieves and drug dealers.
Though they will figure a way around it .

Stephenite

Membå
I'm at the point now where I don't always take my bank card with me. The only place I use the card is the petrol station as they don't have contactless on the pumps and I can't be bothered going inside the shop. Jumble sales, etc I can pay with the bank app.

I can't think of a situation where I'd be required to pay cash that isn't criminal. Mind you, that's here in Scandiwegia.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Definitely on the decline for me too. Must remember to go and get some before Tuesday for a hair cut though as my hairdresser doesn't use card payments yet.......at least she didn't the last time I asked. Only the odd occasion I seem to need it now. Still doesn't feel right not to have a few notes just in case :laugh:
Mo, a few days ago we were talking about the number of hairdressers around here with signs saying "we only take cash payment".
We have heard several accounts (first hand so definitely true) of our lovely travelling friends** getting thier hair done then complaining and refusing to pay. So, cash up front for dodgy looking characters.
**I got told off on here when I actually dared to call them what they really are.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Cheques are going the same way. Mrs B and I have a Halifax account solely to bank cheques because our main current account and our savings account doesn't accept them.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I always have a fiver tucked in my phone case. It's for emergency cake, or coffee.
It can also be useful as a boot in a tyre in case I get a very big puncture.

D

Deleted member 26715

Our local 2 chippies have signs up stating "Cash Only" both fed up of people expecting card payment after ordering.

Talking to our local garage asking which he preferred he now prefers card as he gets charged to pay cash into his account, whereas before he got charged for card transactions

Top Bottom