A cashless society?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I used to prefer getting paid in cash... until the day I lost my wallet, on payday of all days :sad: I don't even bother with a wallet these days.
Of course, lose your bank card and the scumbag whi finds it will dash rou d the nearest supermarkets buying booze and fags and will very quickly wipe you out 30 sheets at a time.

dodgy

The only place I use cash is Eureka cyclists's cafe, they don't take contactless/card/apple pay etc. For that reason I have to draw cash out from the ATM now and again.

Sharky

Guru
I remember somebody telling me years ago, that there was a famous person, who always paid by cheque for small items.
His signature was worth more than the value of the cheque, so the shop keepers rarely presented them to the bank!

Sharky

Guru
Of course, lose your bank card and the scumbag whi finds it will dash rou d the nearest supermarkets buying booze and fags and will very quickly wipe you out 30 sheets at a time.
That happened to my daughter in Paris a few weeks ago. But she realised very quickly and rang her bank and they immediately stopped the card AND reimbursed her the money taken from her account.

Sharky

Guru
I've started using the automatic pumps at garages now. The ones where you can use your debit card. I was a bit wary at first and always go into the shop to pay, but now think they are great - so much quicker.

Stephenite

Membå
For those that say they never use cash, do you really buy a packet of crisps in a shop with contact less, or a pint in a pub?
Yes. Why wouldn't you?

It's cheaper, and more effective for everyone involved. Less risk of catching summat as well. :P

Jimidh

Veteran
This happened to me last summer and had about £200 scooped out of my account in about 2 hours.
Got it all back but still annoying that some scrote thought it was acceptable do that.

Jimidh

Veteran
The only place I still use cash is in pubs - don’t ask me why but it still feels weird handing your card across getting your round in. ( I’ve just been to the ATM to get cash before I head out to the rugby) but at the same time I used my phone to pay for my shopping at Tesco. Weird thinking.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
There's a slight disconnect down here between national chains and local businesses. I wave my phone to pay for a single postage stamp at the PO, but quite a few locals still have the £5 minimum even if they take cards.

My local (conservative) district councillor went 'WHOA!' when I paid with my phone in the pub (no, I wasn't buying one for him).

Top Bottom