A cashless society?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Mo, a few days ago we were talking about the number of hairdressers around here with signs saying "we only take cash payment".
We have heard several accounts (first hand so definitely true) of our lovely travelling friends** getting thier hair done then complaining and refusing to pay. So, cash up front for dodgy looking characters.
**I got told off on here when I actually dared to call them what they really are.

Our Dentist is pay up front, can't imagine anyone doing a runner but the must do?.

Drago

Legendary Member
I like cash - I can't spend what I haven't got. Mrs D tends to use her card more.

Cash won't disappear in my lifetime. Indeed, the Government have proposed legislation to compel retailers to accept it when offered, and to force banks to provide a certain number of cash machines.

And when TSHTF in times of crisis such as flooding, adverse weather, civil unrest, etc, and the internet goes down cash suddenly takes on a value beyond its mere monetary figure.

Interestingly, in a sort of related point, our new Chief Freemason has determined that officers will no longer investigate when people drive-off without paying for their fuel. He says, and I have to agree, that they have chosen to ignore the official crime prevention advice of making customers pay before dispemg their fuel, and their reluctance to follow sensible advice does not then make it a problem for his officers and their scarce resources when it all goes a bit Bobby.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Cashless usually myself, debit card for anything less than £10, credit card for anything more. Keep a tenner on my wallet to break open in the collection for someone leaving at work or at shops not obviously taking cards and then spend the coinage as soon as possible to save losing any. Also keep an emergency tenner in the thin card holder I take cycling.

PK99

Legendary Member
Used to get £200 at the atm must weeks.

Now less than once a month.

Credit card contactless at bigger shops, debit card at local shops.

In these virus times it will be card only with the odd exception e.g. cash only barber, and then it will be crisp new plastic notes fresh from the atm

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Seldom carry cash... just a single debit card. A few local pubs have got rid of the till and only accept card payments, whilst others are cash only. Withdrawing cash is a rare event these days.

I do feel slightly guilty when popping into M&S to buy a single carrot, costing no more than 15p, and pay with my debit card... but not so guilty that I'll stop doing it :whistle:

Mike_P

Guru
I do feel slightly guilty when popping into M&S to buy a single carrot, costing no more than 15p, and pay with my debit card... but not so guilty that I'll stop doing it :whistle:
I used my debit card for a 50p spend in B&Q and it has never appeared on my statement:rolleyes:

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Our Dentist is pay up front, can't imagine anyone doing a runner but the must do?.
I have no difficulty imagining doing a runner at the start of a root filling operation.

Mike_P

Guru
I have no difficulty imagining doing a runner at the start of a root filling operation.
I've no problems with root filling treatment itself. The one treatment that did cause an issue was when some hours later my gums were still numb. Went back to the dentist who found a wad of cotton wool still there that he had forgot to remove.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I use cash wherever possible. Less chance of getting conned by card skimming or similar. Also if the card is lost you may not notice until next time you want to use it and you are stuffed as no means of payment plus the hassle of cancellation and trying to retrieve any thieves withdrawals.
I rarely use cheques now tho’ and it seems a bit odd to make a substantial payment for a car and get a tiny bit of paper in return.
I have bought bicycles from private individuals and how else can I pay them. I am not going to try an electronic transfer on my phone although somebody paid me that way when I sold my motorhome. While the transaction appears in my account quickly I do not know whether the payee has the funds to back it up.
Cash for my coal merchant is left in an inconspicuous place when I am out. He takes cash only.

Top Bottom