A cashless society?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I was in the B&M store in Cardigan just before Xmas when they had a power cut. I was able to pay cash for whatever it was I bought but loads of people had to leave their purchases behind as they only had cards.
Reminds me of the time we were at the Exchange Theatre, Manchester. The tills went down in the restaurant and we all are for free - no one was charged!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I was in Vietnam a few weeks ago. I used a card once, everything else was cash and it was clearly expected to be the case.

Thinking of Vietnam, tipping is widespread, I like to tip good service in the UK. For example I, along with a few friends, always put 50p/£1 in the staff jar at cycling cafes we use regularly. The staff are great, friendly, efficient so I try to carry a few coins for that.

Tipping in restaurants is trickier as I have to remember to take cash with me. I refuse to top on the card as I want to give money directly to the person who gave good service.

lane

Veteran
Mo, a few days ago we were talking about the number of hairdressers around here with signs saying "we only take cash payment".
We have heard several accounts (first hand so definitely true) of our lovely travelling friends** getting thier hair done then complaining and refusing to pay. So, cash up front for dodgy looking characters.
**I got told off on here when I actually dared to call them what they really are.

My barber was subject to a robbery at knifepoint so would be better cashless - unless he has some tax advantage to cash.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My well off retired bank manager brother has his credit card set to a strict £750 limit.

His thinking is that will cap the amount he can be scammed, and worse way he can afford to lose that amount.

It was quite a task for him to persuade the credit card company to do it.

Drago

Legendary Member
My barber was subject to a robbery at knifepoint so would be better cashless - unless he has some tax advantage to cash.
They can steal his card and force his PIN from him at knifepoint too, and some villains this. Rather than solving a problem it just moves it to a different format.

lane

Veteran
They came in the shop and robbed the cash from the ship when it was open and he was working. Don't think stealing his card on those circumstances would be quite the same. But agreed criminals do adapt to different circumstances to ensure they can keep on "working".

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I only used cash at the barbers, but they have now started accepting cards. Their prices have gone up by £1 but I used to always say keep the chnage anyway, so it's still a tenner. One of the big problems if you don't carry cash is, being charged up to £1.75 at a non-bank cashboint. I refuse to do that. I've seen them charge £2.50 at some popular places in town. Cash is still king when selling cars etc. If someone transfers you £2k for a car and then wants to take it away, but it hasn't appeared in your account yet, what happens then?

carlosfandangus

Über Member
notes.jpg

Moodyman

Legendary Member
There's many places that still only accept cash and when using them, I often get caught out as I don't have any. Then, finding a cash machine becomes a challenge as there might not be any for some distance.

Top Bottom