A cashless society?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
If HMRC really get into you it can be a big problem.

Not least because they can make an assessment of the size of your cash business - often without hard evidence - and it's then up to you to disprove it.

Disproving transactions you say you haven't made is all but impossible.

Some farmers got into that difficulty over farm gate sales.

HMRC have a "little black book" of expected takings/turnover for all types of business in various locations and cross check submitted accounts against expectation - too far off the mark and you can expect them to take a longer harder look at your business.

lane

Veteran
My dad was a VAT inspector back in the early days of the tax. Plenty of people falling foul of various benchmarks such as shop showing much lower gross profit then they should, taking into account what they bought and (presumably) sold.

keithmac

Guru
My mate had a sort of similar thing happen at the petrol station. He paid by card and the woman behind the till kept his copy of the receipt. He know's about stuff like this he was working in a bank at the time. She refused to hand it over. So still in the shop he phone the bank to cancel his card. Then phoned the police turned out she'd been keeping them and passed them on to a mate who then passed on the card numbers to be used by others. They had a nice little racket going been doing it for months it turned out.

If you look at your card receipts they never have full card numbers on so she must have been taking pictures of the cards?.

D

Deleted member 26715

There was a scam where they linked 2 machines together, the machine that you saw was not the one that was actually making the transaction therefore the receipt wasn't correct, that way they got all your details including your pin.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If you look at your card receipts they never have full card numbers on so she must have been taking pictures of the cards?.

Before chip and pin, some filling stations would take the card from you to run it through the machine.

Under cover of the glass screen and counter, they would also quickly swipe the card through a scanner to get details to clone it later.

Restaurants can do the same by taking your card from you while you are still sitting at the table.

Less common now with portable wireless card machines, although I'm told it's technically very easy for a fellow diner to electronically spy on what the portable machine sends to its base station.

Mike_P

Guru
Retailers copy has the full number on it, or used to.
Still do - I got given a copy of the retailers copy last week in Spa Cycles. For some reason they seem to have difficulty generating the customers copy.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Less common now with portable wireless card machines, although I'm told it's technically very easy for a fellow diner to electronically spy on what the portable machine sends to its base station.

Out of interest, does the machine send the PIN, or is that validated within the terminal ?

I rarely use cash or card since I set up Apple Pay and it is linked to my cards. Apple Pay uses the same contactless principle but the card details that the merchant's POS terminal captures are token details and not the actual card details. Merchant staff can't use any of the details to make an online purchase or do a clone card. There is also the convenience of digital receipt on your phone and therefore you do not need the cashier to print one. I use my fingerprint to authorise payment so there is no need for a PIN after the usual number of transactions with contactless.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My dad was a VAT inspector back in the early days of the tax. Plenty of people falling foul of various benchmarks such as shop showing much lower gross profit then they should, taking into account what they bought and (presumably) sold.
Computer flagged up anything not average for the type of business. I knew several VAT inspectors quite well and also knew our business was fireproof as the firm of accountants we used were known to be impeccable so far as complying with regulations so we never got done over by VAT inspectors.

Top Bottom