A cat question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've adopted a four year old cat from an elderly relative. It's been mollycoddled, so is quite particular, so I'm trying to wean it onto 'normal' cat food, but my concern is, a cat will go where it feels it's treat best, and it's a lovely cat, plus it holds memories for other family members, so I don't want it wandering off because I'm not giving it 'his' food, which brings me to my main question.

Does anyone have any tips on how long to keep it indoors, and how best to help it decide to come back when I do let it out?

I'm working on keeping it in around two weeks, and doing my best to let it know it is loved, but I don't want it to be as 'picky' as it has been on food.

He's still settling in, but has claimed it's own chair, and found the litter tray, which he refused to use in the relative's house, but his appetite's not back yet.

He's used to being in at night, and in and out through the day. I'm waiting until his appetite and general behavior show's he settled, but I'd be interested in any tips to smooth, or even shorten this, as not getting out is upsetting him.

He’s a cat, he will do what he wants, when he wants, if you dare try to stop him, get a first aid kit, and lots of superglue ready.

At least a couple of weeks indoors, if not more. Food may be difficult. I tried to change my old cat's food to a different sort and she just starved herself. The vet told me just to give in in the end. I eventually made the change months later by gradually introducing small amounts of what I wanted her to eat mixed in with what she wanted.

OP
OP
ClichéGuevara

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
At least a couple of weeks indoors, if not more. Food may be difficult. I tried to change my old cat's food to a different sort and she just starved herself. The vet told me just to give in in the end. I eventually made the change months later by gradually introducing small amounts of what I wanted her to eat mixed in with what she wanted.

What is he used to eating and what food are you wanting him to eat?
Ask yourself would you eat something you didnt like?

I'm definitely going to give in on the food change, as he's got enough to cope with with the changes.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I guess cats are like people when it comes to food. I have two, brother and sister. I buy tinned cat food and the girl loves it but the boy won’t touch it. They are semi feral so not spoiled.

OP
OP
ClichéGuevara

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
I guess cats are like people when it comes to food. I have two, brother and sister. I buy tinned cat food and the girl loves it but the boy won’t touch it. They are semi feral so not spoiled.
You seem to be under the mistaken belief that you are in charge, I think you'll find the cat has other ideas ^_^

Cats are incredibly stubborn about food, we went through so many brands and types before we found what they liked, and even then it was only until they decided they wanted a change, now! :rolleyes:

I'll have you know that I rule in this house. :training:

I've decided his favourite foods will be here in the next half hour. ^_^

OP
OP
ClichéGuevara

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
Meant to say... mine answer to a whistle. I semi(!) trained them by whistling if I had a treat for them, firstly in the house and then outside. A whistle is quite good as the sound carries well. Unless you have one of those moments where whistling becomes a mystifying dark art and completely non-doable.

Cheers for that.

It's been suggested I say his name and stroke him as I feed him, but we can't decide on a name yet, so we were going to get a bell...to ring instead of the name, not instead of the cat.

The theory is, I should let him out an hour or so before his feed, then call him back with his name/bell for food. Whistling while I feed him cold be fun though.

Top Bottom