A dual carriageway question for you ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I passed my test in Abergavenny in the 70s. Provided you weren't daft enough to venture out on a market day it was quiet as anything. One of my first big solo drives was up to Birmingham. To say I was a bit unprepared would be an understatement.
Just a postscript on this in case anyone thinks I'm being harsh on others: I failed my first driving test at the first junction because I didn't correctly anticipate the effect of the ramp up out of the test centre having a brow and becoming a ramp down onto the road for the last 3 or so metres, so the nose of my car crossed the give-way before I stopped... and there was a car coming (the view obscured by roadside trees until you reached the give-way line). It didn't have to change its course because it was a wide road, but that was regarded as a major fault and a fail and I can't honestly disagree with that one - a licensed driver should be able to cope with roads they've not driven before better than I did then! If my driving instructor had taken me in and out of their car park (which you can do at King's Lynn's current test centre, but not that one because it had gates), I would have been familiar with it and passed and that would have been wrong.

I do disagree with my failure for "not making progress" and my breaking the speed limit during my test only being regarded as a minor fault but the driving test's bias towards going faster is another discussion. ;)

Slick

Guru
Just a postscript on this in case anyone thinks I'm being harsh on others: I failed my first driving test at the first junction because I didn't correctly anticipate the effect of the ramp up out of the test centre having a brow and becoming a ramp down onto the road for the last 3 or so metres, so the nose of my car crossed the give-way before I stopped... and there was a car coming (the view obscured by roadside trees until you reached the give-way line). It didn't have to change its course because it was a wide road, but that was regarded as a major fault and a fail and I can't honestly disagree with that one - a licensed driver should be able to cope with roads they've not driven before better than I did then! If my driving instructor had taken me in and out of their car park (which you can do at King's Lynn's current test centre, but not that one because it had gates), I would have been familiar with it and passed and that would have been wrong.

I do disagree with my failure for "not making progress" and my breaking the speed limit during my test only being regarded as a minor fault but the driving test's bias towards going faster is another discussion. ;)
Funny you mention that, I failed first time for going too slow.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My niece will shortly be taking her test again on the same roads. My sister decided to call in at the test centre and have a word. When she got there, there was a waiting room full of people, and a phone with a notice next to it saying to call if one needed to speak to an examiner. She rang and an examiner answered the phone ...

Sister: [Explained the situation]

Examiner: I can't comment on past tests.

Sister: I don't want you to. I just want to know what my daughter should do at the dual carriageway junction.

Examiner: She should do what her instructor told her to do in that situation.

Sister: She did what the instructor said and examiner #1 failed her for doing that.

Examiner: I can't comment other than to say that she should do what her instructor told her to do in that situation.

Sister: In her next test she did what examiner #1 said she should have done and examiner #2 failed her for doing that.

Examiner: She should do what her instructor told her to do in that situation.

Sister: THANK YOU FOR BEING SO BLOODY UNHELPFUL!!!!!

Examiner: Please hold ...

[Time passes ... slowly!]

Examiner: I have just asked my boss what to say to you and he told me that I am not allowed to give you driving instruction. I repeat - She should do what her instructor told her to do in that situation.

Sister: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!! (Slams phone down.)

She turned to storm out, being eyeballed by the crowd in the waiting room. One man speaks up ...

Stranger: Tell your daughter what she needs to do when the examiner tells her to turn right onto the far carriageway is to ignore the instruction and just turn left onto the near carriageway. Safely failing to obey an instruction is a 'minor'!

Sister: Wow, how stupid, but I think you are right - thanks!

So what will probably happen now is that the examiner will give her a minor and then take her round in a big circle so she can have another go at the junction and keep doing that, accumulating minors, until she agrees to turn right! :wacko:

gbb

Legendary Member
Id go B if I were a car coming from the side road.
A potentially blocks the junction, B doesnt....or has less potential to.

Taking B, I can see if there' a gap available to join the main carriageway, even if a car arrives turning right. If I took A and a car arrived turning right, he would potentially block my view, creating a potential problem. We'd be in each others way.

If I was still at the side road and a car was turning right...id wait till he cleared of course, I'd give him priority. (In case that was part of the scenario)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The problem is that she went 'A' one time and got failed for that, and 'B' the other time and got failed for that too! So basically, she has to guess what the examiner on the day thinks is right. In theory she will eventually guess correctly but it could get very expensive to have to keep retaking the test and keeping her fingers crossed for a lucky guess!

mjr

The problem is that she went 'A' one time and got failed for that, and 'B' the other time and got failed for that too! So basically, she has to guess what the examiner on the day thinks is right. In theory she will eventually guess correctly but it could get very expensive to have to keep retaking the test and keeping her fingers crossed for a lucky guess!
If she really believes that either A or B is correct (and I don't, as described earlier), then raise a complaint. And probably still take the test at Bletchley or wherever instead.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm just gobsmacked that it isn't as simple as ...

"This is the rule. The instructor teaches you the rule. The examiner tests how you follow the rule"

rather than ...

"The examiner has an opinion about what the rule is. The instructor will have taught you a rule. If the instructor's rule is the same as the examiner's rule, follow the rule. If the instructor's rule is the opposite of the examiner's rule, follow the examiner's rule. BTW - you have to guess what the examiner thinks the rule is. If you ask beforehand, the examiner will simply tell you to obey what the instructor thinks the rule is. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR GUESS TODAY!"

:wacko:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Another solution to the problem ... My niece should keep taking and failing the test, entering the name of the examiner and which option she took in a spreadsheet. Eventually, she will have gone through all of the available examiners and will know what their individual rules are. Assuming that they don't change their mind from one test to another, then she will know what to do the next time!

(But then they fail her 1 km further on based on their individual interpretation of some other 'rule'!)

mjr

[QUOTE 5212868, member: 9609"]Try Option "C" the next time, they will be impressed with the hand brake turn at the end of the dual.
View attachment 404117 [/QUOTE]
Option "D" - straight line from the starting point to the exit, ignoring kerbs, islands, markings and so on. Seems popular in Norfolk with MTB riders commuting home.

Top Bottom