A few questions on vintage road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
The 1980's were a good time, new makers like Trek and older makers were all trying to up their game. I have a Trek 600 with 531 CS (anniversary) and cast lugs and dropouts, now with brifters and 8 speed rear.
trek-600-at-normal-station_edited-1.jpg

But this is it before modifications.

nonowt

Über Member

It sounds like 22 1/2 to 24 inch frame. The good thing with British Vintage bikes from the 50's to 80's are that most of the components are interchangeable. The handlebar stem lengths can be changed to suit your riding position . 27 inch or 700 size wheels can usually be fitted just simply by altering the position of the brake blocks, although sometimes you may have to fit calipers with a different reach.
Some rear derailleurs came with a hanger already attached and so a dropout fitted to the frame wasn't necessary.
So you have a wide range of options open to you, but as been said above, it is a lot cheaper to buy a complete bike rather than doing up a frame.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
How about these John, not too far from you and your size.
This MBK is decent enough for modest money and should provide a gentle introduction into vintage;
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/mens-vintage-mbk-road-racer-bike-235-inch-frame/1338455738

This is a bit more but is a real corker, says its Italian but i suspect its UK made. Colombus tubing, needs less work and parts for a very reasonable price;

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/vintage-super-light-weight-8090s-road-bike/1335773716

MBK is nothing special and the Dean is very nice and british made and a very fair price

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
What is this frame like?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/vintage-pink-bianchi-caurus-837-road-bike/1337643417

I would offer significantly less than asking price as he's been trying to sell it for a year and I would probably end up replacing most of the components. The idea would be to respray it in Celeste with just the Bianchi branding on the downtube and the Bianchi crest on the head tube.

Alternatively there are a few Bianchi Sprint 28C's on eBay if you search in Italy but a little more than I'd want to pay when you factor in postage.

Is it frowned upon to change the appearance of a frame like that? I wouldn't want to upset any purists :wacko::laugh: I would potentially put Campag running gear on it in the long run...

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Did the Caurus originally come with Campy? I might also give that paint a polish, and see what color it buffs up to. I have also seen the Caurus in black on the web, that name didn't make it over here to the States.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I could think of better ways of wasting that amount of cash on a far better bike than that Bianchi.

I suspected that may be the case... Thanks :laugh: I think it'll take me some time to work out what sort of thing I want.

Pop along the a14 to my garage and try a few by all means @JhnBssll

I may well take you up on that kind offer at some point soon, thanks! ^_^

GuyBoden

Guru
Get a triple chainring, unless you enjoy struggling or pushing your bike up hills with the old gearing...........

Change the brakes to good dual pivot, if you want the stop in a hurry..........

Top Bottom