A few questions on vintage road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
People today are spoilt! I used to race a steel bike with a single chainring & just 5 gears and I survived! Come to think of it, most others people did too.

I bought a Battaglin frame new in the early 90's and built a bike up with it. I still have the frame and a few years ago I had it powder coated (I wish I had not bothered as the paint was not that bad and they removed the chrome on the rear stay when they shot blasted it) I then rebuilt it using mmore modern equipment (dura ace 7800) and fitted spinergy wheels.
I like the bike as it looks now, and I prefer the shifters on the hoods to the old down tube shifters, but I rarely ride the bike. It just does not compare to my modern stuff.
I guess you have to ask yourself what you really want from the bike before you buy a frame. Do you want something to restore to as new condition? Do you want it to have period correct parts? Will you ride it or just sit and look at it (as I do with my Battaglin) All these decisions will have an influence on what you need to buy to start out. Sometimes things just evolve and that is good, but I think it helps if you have an idea of what you want to do to start off with.
Anyway, here is my Battaglin, I often just sit looking at it for ages!

immYZvD.jpg

carpenter

Über Member

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Unless the OP has either unusually short or unusually long legs, then at a height of 6ft the optimum frame size is likely to be 23 1/2", which tends to result in a visually appealing bike without silly amounts of seatpost sticking out.
In reality, a frame an inch or so either side of optimal will still be perfectly rideable, but may or may not be less comfortable depending on body proportions. A smaller frame will facilitate a more arse-up, head-down riding stance if that's your thing (it certainly isn't mine!), whereas a slightly over-large frame will also result in a higher minimum bar height due to the taller head tube. None of that sloping top tube malarkey muddying the waters when it comes to sizing, the length of the seat tube pretty much governs the height range of the bars as well as the saddle.

I must confess to being a fan of Reynolds steel tubing frames, as every one I've ever tried has been a good ride. That doesn't necessarily mean a gas-pipe frame will ride badly though, more a case that anyone going to the expense of using Reynolds tubing will have probably tried harder to design a good frame, because the typical customer for a Reynolds bike was an enthusiast who would actually care, not just someone who regards bikes as cheap transport hacks. Don't reject hi-tensile frames out of hand though; some people will pay silly money for a tidy Dawes Galaxy - mainly as it's well known to be 531, yet they would turn their nose up at a Dawes Shadow because it's "only hi-tensile" - yet both frames have absolutely identical 72 degree "Touring" geometry! The most significant difference between butted and plain-gauge frames is weight.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Get a triple chainring, unless you enjoy struggling or pushing your bike up hills with the old gearing...........

Change the brakes to good dual pivot, if you want the stop in a hurry..........
Decent singles can easily lock the wheels with modern pads. They're just fiddlier to set up and keep adjusted. I've just spent the week nosediving down double digit gradients on mine. BBB Techstop blue pads.

No struggle up hills on vintage gearing. Just a nice leisurely walk. The huge saddlebag is a clue I'm not racing ;)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Unless the OP has either unusually short or unusually long legs, then at a height of 6ft the optimum frame size is likely to be 23 1/2", which tends to result in a visually appealing bike without silly amounts of seatpost sticking out.
In reality, a frame an inch or so either side of optimal will still be perfectly rideable, but may or may not be less comfortable depending on body proportions. A smaller frame will facilitate a more arse-up, head-down riding stance if that's your thing (it certainly isn't mine!), whereas a slightly over-large frame will also result in a higher minimum bar height due to the taller head tube. None of that sloping top tube malarkey muddying the waters when it comes to sizing, the length of the seat tube pretty much governs the height range of the bars as well as the saddle.

I must confess to being a fan of Reynolds steel tubing frames, as every one I've ever tried has been a good ride. That doesn't necessarily mean a gas-pipe frame will ride badly though, more a case that anyone going to the expense of using Reynolds tubing will have probably tried harder to design a good frame, because the typical customer for a Reynolds bike was an enthusiast who would actually care, not just someone who regards bikes as cheap transport hacks. Don't reject hi-tensile frames out of hand though; some people will pay silly money for a tidy Dawes Galaxy - mainly as it's well known to be 531, yet they would turn their nose up at a Dawes Shadow because it's "only hi-tensile" - yet both frames have absolutely identical 72 degree "Touring" geometry! The most significant difference between butted and plain-gauge frames is weight.
Aye, this one is 'Hi-Ten'

002.JPG

Decent singles can easily lock the wheels with modern pads. They're just fiddlier to set up and keep adjusted. I've just spent the week nosediving down double digit gradients on mine. BBB Techstop blue pads.

No struggle up hills on vintage gearing. Just a nice leisurely walk. The huge saddlebag is a clue I'm not racing ;)

Again yep

Aa
Oh! Erm.... a few +1 :laugh:

I took the Claud Butler frame to the scrap man and came back with an almost pristine Challenge Spectre BMX for £20! It only needed an innertube in the back wheel and I already had one salvaged from another freebie wheel from the same guy!
:ohmy:
You should have contacted me . As my name suggests. I'll have a go at anything !

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Aa

:ohmy:
You should have contacted me . As my name suggests. I'll have a go at anything !
Do you mean attempt a repair of the frame? I did consider it but a new seat tube would be the only way and it was a later CB, so probably not worth the expense. If it had been a 1960s classic with fancy lugs I probably would have repaired it.

Top Bottom