A gentle pootle in Kent - Sunday 1st August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ianrauk said:
Sidcup and M25/M20 junctions are easily bypassed. There is racing at Brands on that day but nothing major.

Mini-cars then?

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
trj977 said:
Just wondering what would the average speed be on this?

It will be a gentle pace. Rather than my usual rush, I intend this to be a complete pootle, stopping to look at historic things, old buildings, lighthouses, the sea etc etc. As my daughter has said she might come along, expect a moving average possibly as high as 11 mph!

I'll be posting the likely route and itinerary later on in the week, as I'm trying to get any small climbs below 5%.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
I'm now aiming for the flattest possible route, as shown here 48.6 miles in total with a whopping 402 feet total climbed, with a maximum elevation of 152 feet above sea level!

The plan will be to head out from Ashford Station, meander on the back roads to Dymchurch, go along the sea wall, maybe paddle in the sea a bit, then head back inland for a spot of lunch in St Mary in the Marsh, then head back to the coast, all the way down to Dungeness lighthouse, have an ice cream or two, admire the glory of the world's second largest shingle bank, then marvel at the post modern architecture of the power station, before heading back via a 1,000 year old yew tree in Old Romney, to the station.

It shouldn't be too exerting.

Flying Dodo said:
I'm now aiming for the flattest possible route, as shown here 48.6 miles in total with a whopping 402 feet total climbed, with a maximum elevation of 152 feet above sea level!

The plan will be to head out from Ashford Station, meander on the back roads to Dymchurch, go along the sea wall, maybe paddle in the sea a bit, then head back inland for a spot of lunch in St Mary in the Marsh, then head back to the coast, all the way down to Dungeness lighthouse, have an ice cream or two, admire the glory of the world's second largest shingle bank, then marvel at the post modern architecture of the power station, before heading back via a 1,000 year old yew tree in Old Romney, to the station.

It shouldn't be too exerting.

Looks good. What time we meeting / finishing?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Mista Preston said:
Looks good. What time we meeting / finishing?

Dripping Tap, 7am!!! ;)

martint235 said:
Dripping Tap, 7am!!! :rolleyes:

If you want to. ^_^

Meet you outside Ashford International Station at 10.30. Return time, probably 5 pm or so, maybe later.

2 fast trains per hour back to St Pancras, but only 1 slow one to Victoria.

cheers. My guess is that Victoria train is the all stopper which will mean it will stop at Bromley Saarff.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Those people who intend cycling down from London, where shall we meet and what time? I reckon it will take 3 - 3.5 hours. Meet HPC, Dripping Tap or where the A20 crosses the South Circular? Any other suggestions??

I'm really looking forward to this now after FNRttC!!!

Those people who intend cycling down from London, where shall we meet and what time? I reckon it will take 3 - 3.5 hours. Meet HPC, Dripping Tap or where the A20 crosses the South Circular? Any other suggestions??

I'm really looking forward to this now after FNRttC!!!

Whos gonna ride then?

Reckon i may give it go so DT would work for me

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
OK I have a route planned to Ashford. I looked at yours Martin and there is too much A21 on it. No way is cycling through Pembury on that road any fun. So I have plotted a route through the country lanes. It will be nice and quiet on a sunday morning. It's 55 miles from Bromley.

Clive & Martin, how about you guys meet at the DT then Clive can bring you to mine and I will meet you on the A21 at Frankie and Bennies. I don't fancy going to the DT as it would mean coming back again.

Top Bottom