A good commute requires a trial run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I never bothered. I just deliberately gave myself too much time on the first run.
If im going out for a ride, I will use my nice bike and the proper cycling clothing rather than my old restored bike and clothing thats rather silly to wear for cycling.

OP
OP
dee.jay

dee.jay

Network Ninja
Yeah the thing is I get up at 6am for work. I could get up at 6, cycle in, have a shower and still be ready for 7am start.... So that's all good. Wife says I should "wait until spring" but she's worried about the dark.... Hmpfh. I'll still do it when I have all the bits I need..

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Nowt wrong with a dry run. I did mine on a weekend and was surprised at how quick I could do it. 55 mins vs 40 in a car. 12 miles. 8 glorious years ago

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't do a dry run when I'm going something new. Tomorrow, I haven't even decided which way I'm going, I know the beginning, and the end, and as for route in the middle I will know bits of it and probably end up working out a route whilst I'm riding.

Simontm

Veteran
Did a trial run got a puncture. Did a second trial run and thought: Ah, I can do this and have done ever since.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ok, so I did end up in a cul de sac, and had to get the map out once on each journey. I'll probably take a different route next time, there was lots of broken glass on this mornings route.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ok, so I did end up in a cul de sac, and had to get the map out once on each journey. I'll probably take a different route next time, there was lots of broken glass on this mornings route.

Someone smashed a couple of bottles in my back lane, so it was out with the broom before I could get out with the bicycle.

Most glass is designed to shatter into hard granules rather than sharp shards, it's a safety measure so if you are 'glassed' in a pub the injuries, while nasty, won't be the dreadful gashes they would have been previously.

The relevance to cycling is that to sturdy hybrid tyres such as Marathon Pluses, broken glass doesn't represent a huge hazard.

I don't know about roadie tyres, and I'm not saying a Marathon won't puncture on glass, but you will often get away with it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I did get away with it, but I think I was surprised to find quite a few locations with glass, normally you occasionally come across some. And I have basic Marathons on the bike but didn't like the crunchy sounds.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I did get away with it, but I think I was surprised to find quite a few locations with glass, normally you occasionally come across some. And I have basic Marathons on the bike but didn't like the crunchy sounds.

I don't like the crunchy sounds either, but it does indicate the glass bits are more granular, like gravel.

I've been known to stop after a crunchy incident and brush the tyres off with my (padded) gloved hand.

Might not make any difference, but could possibly eject a sharper bit before it's had time to work through to the tube.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I did a trial run of my 'revised' route to work in the car last week- needed to work out where the entrance to the Fallowfield Loop was so drove the route I'd use on the road bike. I know the 'off road' route as far as it gets back to a short section of road. Always worth planning. Saves you the panic on that first morning.

Top Bottom