A little advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

inkd

Hi all, I am after some advice on a beginner? To cut a long story short, a work colleague of mine has got himself a new bike and wants to ride to work with me. Although I am supporting him for doing so, its not that straight forward.
He is around 50, extremely unfit and deaf. Although he is the works joker and the butt of many jokes I do try to help him out and explain things to him. ( without going into details and trying not to offend anyone)
So here is my situation, Tuesday he wants to commute with me, its a 20 mile round trip with a few slopes (we don`t have hills in the new forest). He has only ridden about 3 miles since getting the bike and I have tried to put him off commuting just yet until he gets more miles in the saddle but he says its easy.
He has some lights, helmet and an old ebay jersey i gave him which was miles too big. I asked him to get a water bottle and cage (to which he asked why he needed one), the bike he got is a new Giant Talon MTB.
My commute normally takes me 43 minutes into work, I have suggested we take 90 mins on his first ride. Should i ride in front or behind him? remembering he does lip read! Is 90 mins enough as he gets out of breath walking up 2 flights of stairs to the canteen? The only exercise he gets is walking around the warehouse and walking to the local chippy.
Any suggestions would help as I don`t personally think he is ready but at the same time I don`t want to put him off. Many thx in advance.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I would say 10 miles for a first ride will be very tough going for a seriously unfit bloke. It's not until you get back on the bike that you realise how hard it actually is until you get a certain amount of fitness back into your body. Perhaps ask him to do a small cycle loop with you at the weekend to see how he can actually handle a ride rather then jumping straight in to the commute. You could say that you want to assess his riding ability before going out on the open road on a commute. If you don't think he is ready then tell him so explaining your reasons why.

As he is deaf it would be a good idea to ride in front as that way he will be able to follow your hand signals and reactions.

Fair play to you Sir for wanting to help him out. Sounds like this chaps life is not the greatest. It can't be very nice for him being the butt of jokes at work either. But at least he is wanting to change his sedentary life style by cycling.

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

I will try to get out for a ride with him but as we work different nights it can be a bit hit and miss for nights off together although he is on holiday in a few weeks time. Is there any other advice on clothing e.t.c. I could give or shall I wait and see how he gets on?

oldstrath

Über Member
Going in front so he can see hand signals seems sensible, but my experience riding with very unfit friends is that one has to be very careful to go slowly enough on the hills - might be easier behind on steeper bits.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
As @ianrauk said, you need to asses your friend on shorter rides.
If he insist that "it" is easy, try convincing him to do a mock commute at the weekend, so you don't get stressed worrying you're going to be late for work.
If he still insist he want to do a "proper" commute despite not training, plot a route with plenty of bailout opportunities: trains stations or a safe place he could leave his bike, then get the bus or a taxi.

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

Just a quick update, I went out for a ride with him this morning and took him around a fairly easy circuit. 10.5 miles in just over an hour, i rode in front most of the way but i did want to check his road positioning and shoulder checks. I was pretty impressed with him as I didn`t think he would bother showing up at all. I have told him to do the circuit at least 2-3 more times before commuting in and to think about getting some more gear i.e water bottle, decent warm wicking top e.t.c.

buggi

Bird Saviour
sounds like what you're doing is sensible. The thing is, you don't want to put him off by telling him he cant do it. Also he is prob more likely to invest in extra kit if he feels he needs it and he won't feel like that until you throw him into it, so get him going. Pat's idea of a bail out is good but he's now done 10 mile with you already so i reckon he's as ready as ever. suggest he drives in one day, rides home with you and then rides to work the next day, and drives home, to break him in. If he doesn't wanna do that, just go the distance, sounds like his enthusiasm alone will get him there

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

Just a quick update, Last night was his first commute and due to the cold weather I told him to layer up. 20.8 miles round trip in 2H 7 mins so not great but he did it. I have now told him that if anyone at work takes the pith then ask them when they rode in last?
I will give him a week then try him again.

Ern1e

Über Member
Well done that man I applaud his efforts and also your own, I take it that he must be completly deaf ?this I can relate to being deaf on my left side and have been told 20% down on the right so I do tend to compensate buy looking over the shoulder more lol plus it has advantages when drivers are giving you some stick I just give them my best pathetic look and say sorry but would you please shout louder I'am deaf,usualy at this point they mutter all sorts and depart so guess it's not all bad.

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

He has one of those hearing aids that go on the side of his head (sorry for my ignorance but I have no idea what it is). He was bragging that his legs were fine and he didn`t suffer at all so I have told him that next time we need to do it in under 2 hours. As I waited for him I did notice he was hesitant to free wheel down hill so he was slow on the descents too. I guess we all had to start from somewhere.

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
He has one of those hearing aids that go on the side of his head (sorry for my ignorance but I have no idea what it is). He was bragging that his legs were fine and he didn`t suffer at all so I have told him that next time we need to do it in under 2 hours. As I waited for him I did notice he was hesitant to free wheel down hill so he was slow on the descents too. I guess we all had to start from somewhere.

Cochlear implant? That's great, it should at least let him hear traffic etc.

Just one thought that springs to mind when you're riding in front, have you explained all the gestures for waving at potholes, slowing down etc? Also, I've fitted a rear view mirror to my bike, mainly to watch the traffic coming up behind me, but it's been useful to check I've not 'dropped' my cycling companion when cycling with a beginner friend. Saved me looking over my shoulder all the time and it's a bit less obvious that I'm checking on them ^_^

Well done on encouraging him. :bicycle:

Top Bottom