A little courtesy goes a long way....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Was out in the Chew Valley area south of Bristol at the weekend. Daughter was driving. Roads were narrow, windy and hilly lanes busy with cyclists, both singles and groups.

A good number of times, my daughter slowed and stayed well behind cyclists, sometimes holding up traffic behind, until there was a safe place to pass, and then when she had the opportunity she overtook "on the wrong side of the road". On several occasions that meant 5 mph up a nasty hill. Textbook safe and considerate driving.

On every occasion, the cyclist looked behind and saw she was waiting to overtake. When she did pass them, not a single one of them gave any form of nod, wave, flick of a finger to say "Thanks"

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Agreed. When circumstances allow (i.e. I'm not in the middle of a manoeuvre that requires both hands on handlebars) I'll give an appreciative wave to any motorist who treats me with consideration, particularly since so many don't.

yello

I agree that a simple 'thank you', however indicated, isn't difficult.

Something I like to remind myself of (when a thanks hasn't been received) is that I oughtn't need to be thanked for doing the right thing. I'll admit it's a consolation thought though.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If a motorist has trundled along behind me for a minute or two waiting to overtake I ALWAYS raise my right hand in thanks as I hear them accelerate.

Tommy2

Über Member
yes, but waving at motorists can sometimes be misinterpreted
I sometimes worry that sticking my hand up/out as a wave might be seen as a "WTF" gesture, also when do you acknowledge it, as they pull out, as they are passing, as they are pulling back in? Sometimes you say thanks but the drivers eye are not looking at you at the time so they won't see and assume you didn't thank them.

I think the OP is remarkable precisely because one sees it so rarely. I like to hang a good distance behind cyclists where there's no room to pass.

I cannot remember the last time I didn't get a nod or a wave. Cyclists tend to be a courteous bunch.

I cannot remember it ever having cost me a second over the whole journey (whether to the shops or the other end of the country).

The only drawback is that it can encourage Mr Four-Tailpipes Loon-Pants Agressosuarus to put all his lights in my RVM and rev a lot. My impression is that he'd be doing that whether I did 5mph or 85mph.

Good on the OP's daughter for hanging back. May the absence of courtesy continue to be a rare thing.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I/we always acknowledge considerate behaviour by motorists on club runs, either by a wave, or verbal thanks. We will also single up if necessary, and pull over and stop (at our convenience) to allow passing if we know the lane is long and narrow. It always appears to be appreciated and helps to maintain a good image for the club.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
If a motorist has trundled along behind me for a minute or two waiting to overtake I ALWAYS raise my right hand in thanks as I hear them accelerate.
That's exactly what I do, although I'm happy to pull over for a second if its a crappy overtake spot or ive backed up traffic :smile: I also turn an outstretched indicating arm into a thumbs up if they waited behind for me to turn. Strangely almost all my interactions with motorists are really positive ;)

Mapster1989

I do exactly the same. I even get a thanks back for saying thanks, if that makes sense.

We both use the road, lets just appreciate each other whilst using it.

Top Bottom