A little problem down below!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adam2008

Hi,
I've recently got my first road bike and after about 15 mile my man bits start to go numb and I get pins and needles! I have tried to change riding positions but this doesn't seem to make any difference. Any ideas why this could be?
Thanks for your help!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi Adam and Welcome.

Nasty! But not unheard of.
Are you wearing good padded cycle shorts, these are essential.
Also you may need a saddle that is better suited to your shape, no 2 bums are the same, we all need different perches so that we sit on our sit-bones not our perineum which is probably the cause of the problem. Seat angle can help too, slightly nose down can relieve pressure.
Finally, numbness may be caused by vibration, tyre choice, tyre pressure, and seat-post selection can help here.

What bike? What surfaces, what saddle?

yenrod

spec_sad_toupe_130_blk_06_m.jpg

They may cost a bit but they'll definately save your nads !!! ;)

Tynan

Veteran
first and easiest thing to do is check the saddle position, angle and height, google it or search this site, tiny changes can make the world of difference

pbar

eeeee......that saddle's like a razor blade (remember that?)

If you're using a hard seat, why not think about swapping it for a cushioned one, I've seen some that look as nice to sit on as my sofa.
Or, a cheaper option perhaps would be to use a gel cushion cover over the saddle, as I do. Works for me.

wafflycat

Cushioned seat does not equate to comfort, especially over longer distances. Really. If it was, that's what you'd see the pros riding. Indeed a saddle with a lot of padding can lead to a lot of discomfort and problems down below, as the padding squishes bits that shouldn't be squished.

What equates to comfort is a properly fitting saddle (often with little, if any padding) and a pair of padded cycle shorts that fit.

As always, The Great Sheldon is a source of fine information on the subject

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

See also http://www.specialized.com/specs/spec.jsp?speccode=bodygeometrysaddles&tablewidth=400&cellwidth=350 for the pictures of why saddle width is important.

Example:- when I got my Bianchi road bike, the saddle it came with was *awful* for me. Literally after five miles I was in agony. Changed it for a Terry's Liberator TiLite and it was *instant bliss* None of this 'breaking in' stuff. Complete comfort from day 1. And it's not hugely padded yet I can ride all day on it and my rear feels fine.

wafflycat

To the original poster:- as well as saddle type/fit/height/angle..

What are you wearing by way of clothing? If you're wearing anything with normal-type seams down below you can get a lot of discomfort that way too. eg, jeans.. underwear...

OP
OP
adam2008

adam2008

Hi,
Thanks for all your advice.
When on my BH bike I just wear some natini cycling shorts with no underwear.
I guess before anything else I should adjust the angle of my saddle.
Thanks again!

wafflycat said:
Cushioned seat does not equate to comfort, especially over longer distances. Really. If it was, that's what you'd see the pros riding. Indeed a saddle with a lot of padding can lead to a lot of discomfort and problems down below, as the padding squishes bits that shouldn't be squished.

I

pbar

wafflycat said:

What equates to comfort is a properly fitting saddle (often with little, if any padding) and a pair of padded cycle shorts that fit.

As always, The Great Sheldon is a source of fine information on the subject

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

See also http://www.specialized.com/specs/spec.jsp?speccode=bodygeometrysaddles&tablewidth=400&cellwidth=350 for the pictures of why saddle width is important.

Example:- when I got my Bianchi road bike, the saddle it came with was *awful* for me. Literally after five miles I was in agony. Changed it for a Terry's Liberator TiLite and it was *instant bliss* None of this 'breaking in' stuff. Complete comfort from day 1. And it's not hugely padded yet I can ride all day on it and my rear feels fine.

Yes, having the saddle correct is the most important thing or course.
The padded seating was just a suggestion to try to help, as it did for me.

wafflycat said:

I used to get this as a newbie but it went away on its own.

When you start out you have your whole body weight on your saddle as you are unfit and have so little strength in your legs. When you get up to the pros standard they really could cycle without a saddle as the whole body weight is being used to push on the pedals not the saddle. So it is a bigger problem for newbies.

I have a gel saddle but do not bother with padded shorts (remember to take it with you if you leave the bike).

I agree with the posts re fit and position of the saddle. I have two positons I change between, sort of sitting back a bit and forward a bit. Helps the back to to change round now and then.

Waffly- but you are a girl! you dont have the bits to worry about and girls saddles come ready padded!!

Tynan

Veteran
'you don't have the bits to worry about'

I'm by no means a gynecologist bit I think they do have 'bits', different ones granted

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Tynan said:
'you don't have the bits to worry about'

I'm by no means a gynecologist bit I think they do have 'bits', different ones granted

Thank you - I'll second that.... but what I really want to find is a shop with loads of saddles set up that I could sit on and try... even for a minute - I suspect I could immediately discount a few of them then. As it is I see a future ahead of me ... buy a saddle ... try it ... not like it.... buy another...........

Top Bottom