A little problem down below!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
+1 For Spesh BG saddles, they rock.

Also girls do indeed have bits to worry about crushing.

I second the advice about having a saddle as unpadded as possible, wearing good quality cycle shorts, and fettling the set up.

wafflycat

Over The Hill said:
Waffly- but you are a girl! you dont have the bits to worry about and girls saddles come ready padded!!

Now that is treading on thin ice :biggrin::biggrin:

We do indeed have bits down below they just happen to be different bits to what blokes have, or haven't you been able to find that out yet? :biggrin:

I also happen to be in a household with two cycling blokes. I *think* Sheldon Brown was a bloke and he has some good advice about saddles...

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
pbar said:
eeeee......that saddle's like a razor blade (remember that?)

That saddle happens to be the most comfortable saddle I have found to date. It is excellent :blush::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Dave5N

Über Member
pbar said:

If you're using a hard seat, why not think about swapping it for a cushioned one, I've seen some that look as nice to sit on as my sofa.
Or, a cheaper option perhaps would be to use a gel cushion cover over the saddle, as I do. Works for me.

Bad advice. You need the right shape, not padding that can chafe.

The Specialized saddles are the most comfortable I have ever ridden - I have a Toupe that looks terrible but is great to ride.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
pbar said:

If you're using a hard seat, why not think about swapping it for a cushioned one, I've seen some that look as nice to sit on as my sofa.
Or, a cheaper option perhaps would be to use a gel cushion cover over the saddle, as I do. Works for me.

I'm with you pbar (I'm old enough)..."I were right about that saddle though". Can't remember what it was advertising though.

pbar

Fab Foodie said:
I'm with you pbar (I'm old enough)..."I were right about that saddle though". Can't remember what it was advertising though.

Don't know why, but I think it was either Hovis or the Yellow Pages.
It's going back some time isn't it?!
In fact, the more I think of it, the more I'm thinking Yellow Pages.....

mcd

<smug recumbent comment>

Saddles? How quaint!

</smug recumbent comment>

Arch

Married to Night Train
mcd said:
<smug recumbent comment>

Saddles? How quaint!

</smug recumbent comment>

;)

Main advice I can give (only being a girl and therefore obviously moulded out of plastic under my pants according to OTH) is to make sure your weight is taken by your sit-bones, not anything soft and sensitive. You are designed to sit on your pelvis, not on soft tissue. So altering angle and geometry is a good first step. Too much stretching forward will put all the wrong bits in contact with the saddle. If you've never thought about your anatomy in this way, have a look at a decent drawing of the skeleton in relation to the soft stuff to see where you need to take your weight.

;):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

No medical training I admit, but I have watched "you've Been Framed" ever since Harry Hill took over and I have never seen a clip with a woman getting smacked in the goolies that caused a reaction worthy of the £250 they send!

I would still put it down to the rider being new to cycling. A new rider has most of his weight on the family jewels area and uses relatively little weight in pushing. A fitter rider is putting more of their weight onto the pedals (it is mostly the body weight that turns the pedal after all).

Newbies would have trouble with a fit riders saddle for that reason.

Sorry if I upset you girls but have you ever heard a man say "does my bum look big in this?" and no Waffly I think I have noticed a bit of a difference in Mrs OTH.

Tynan said:
'you don't have the bits to worry about'

I'm by no means a gynecologist ...

gynecologist_shirt.jpg

Top Bottom