A little worried about commuting to work tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi and hope you're all well.
I,ve had 3 days off work this week (booked off as Holiday) as my car has undergone some body work repairs.
I was due to getting it back today ready for tomorrow's commute but its been delayed.
So it's the bike for me tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to it in the least. It's only 16 miles each way, which I'm sure will find it a breeze to do, but it's the traffic and roads I'll be using. The only reasonable route to work is along a busy A road, and the thought of cycling 16 miles along it in the dark doesn't inspire much confidence. With the current climate, the last thing I want to do, is let work down by not showing up. So I've got my lights on charge this evening and my hi viz jacket ready for the 5am ride down suicide alley tomorrow 😕

Sharky

Guru
In many ways, it is safer in the dark as the contrast of the lights against a black background stands out.
I always recommend to wear reflective slap bands round the ankles as well.

Have a good commute.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Cheers @Sharky
I've seen cyclists along this road in the dark and have spotted them from a fair way back. It's mostly very straight but the cars do travel stupidly fast along it. Hopefully it will be a non eventful experience

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I start work at 7.30 which would throw me slap bang into rush hour. That's why i thought setting off at 5 would be a lot quieter (hopefully) I've done this route before now in the day light usually on a Sunday and it takes around 45/50 minutes. As @Oldhippy said its probably the thought of it that's more daunting than actually doing it

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I've just been having a good look at different routes i can get to work and have thankfully found an alternative route involving quieter lanes and B roads. It's going to add an extra 5 miles to the commute but would feel a lot happier doing that for safety reasons. It will cut out a chunk of the busy A road which is playing down on my confidence. Hopefully if i find it's not too daunting I may do it more in the future

RichardB

Slightly retro
When I used to commute in the dark, like you I opted for a longer route on quiet country lanes, rather than the obvious A-road linking my home with my work. However, looking back I had more close calls with speeding cars on the 'quiet' lanes than I ever have on a busy A-road. Cars tend to go much faster (relative to the road conditions) on minor roads, I find, and then get very surprised by meeting a bicycle on a blind corner 'But the road was empty yesterday!' The A-road seems intuitively more dangerous (and certainly feels it) but that has not been borne out by actual incidents in my (limited) experience. All traffic, even lorries rushing for the Irish ferry, usually give me a decent bit of road space.

classic33

Leg End Member
The problem with the "quiet routes" I found, was everyone else seemed to have found them as well. These were generally narrower roads.

If you know the "A" road, and it sounds like you do, they may be the safer option. Whichever you take, enjoy it.

Top Bottom