A must for any saddle/tool bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I recently bought one of these bad boys...... It's a 'Presta to Schrader adapter'.
Can't believe I haven't found these sooner !
Ideal if you get a puncture on the road and your bike pump doesn't quite do the job properly...... But at least it'll get you to the nearest petrol station where you can wack this adapter on and get the air line onto your tyre to the required pressure. Also if you have an air compressor at home, it takes only a few seconds to pump them up.
£1.50 or so off eBay

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 60

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I recently bought one of these bad boys...... It's a 'Presta to Schrader adapter'.
Can't believe I haven't found these sooner !
Ideal if you get a puncture on the road and your bike pump doesn't quite do the job properly...... But at least it'll get you to the nearest petrol station where you can wack this adapter on and get the air line onto your tyre to the required pressure. Also if you have an air compressor at home, it takes only a few seconds to pump them up.
£1.50 or so off eBay
They are great, but I keep losing them. Apparently a common, occurrence, as my LBS has a fish bowl full of them.

Keith Oates

Janner
I've been using (and losing) these for a few years and agree there well worth buying and keeping some where handy for when you need to use them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mattobrien

Guru
I have got a CO2 regulator and canister which takes care of any unexpected deflations while out. I ride mainly in the sticks so don't pass a garage who is likely to help pump things up.

I have a friend with a compressor, but he finds it won't go anywhere near the pressure needed for road bike tyres, ends up using a track pump.

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I have got a CO2 regulator and canister which takes care of any unexpected deflations while out. I ride mainly in the sticks so don't pass a garage who is likely to help pump things up.

I have a friend with a compressor, but he finds it won't go anywhere near the pressure needed for road bike tyres, ends up using a track pump.
Are the canisters any good. Iv heard they're quite tricky and you only get one shot to do it.
I also ride on the sticks so if these are worth getting, then I shall get a few

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Are the canisters any good. Iv heard they're quite tricky and you only get one shot to do it.
ive got co2 for when out in the sticks. they are handy but a good road morph handpump is better.

mattobrien

Guru
I have not had any problems with them and have not found them tricky. I carry two canisters with my road bike and use a Bontrager Air User as it was pretty much the smallest I could find to fit in the small saddle bag. You control the flow of CO2 into the tube via the regulator, so it is possible to start gently to make sure it is filling before giving it beans.

Don't buy canisters from cycling websites they are about £2 each. Do a search on Google and you will find them for much less - I think mine were arounf 60p each, which means I am less worried about using them / helping others. You will need to check if you need threaded or un threaded ones too.

I have gone for threaded as they will work with my other regulator too, which takes unthreaded / isn't fussy.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Can I ask what the necessity is? I've had couple of bikes with presta valves and not found it to be a problem?
Because the 20p machines at garages by default don't fit shrader valves.
I have not had any problems with them and have not found them tricky. I carry two canisters with my road bike and use a Bontrager Air User as it was pretty much the smallest I could find to fit in the small saddle bag. You control the flow of CO2 into the tube via the regulator, so it is possible to start gently to make sure it is filling before giving it beans.

Don't buy canisters from cycling websites they are about £2 each. Do a search on Google and you will find them for much less - I think mine were arounf 60p each, which means I am less worried about using them / helping others. You will need to check if you need threaded or un threaded ones too.

I have gone for threaded as they will work with my other regulator too, which takes unthreaded / isn't fussy.
My GI Ultraflate has been faultless the time I've had it. Folk will argue that there is nothing wrong with a hand pump, frankly I have better things to do.

Last edited:

Davidc

Guru

Get a decent compressor. I have 2, one will go to 120 psi (when its gauge says 90 psi) and the other will go to 150 (I stopped there, and its gauge said 190 psi)

Whether a track pump or compressor don't believe the built in gauges. Always use a separate one with a stated calibration accuracy.

Davidc

Guru
Carefull filling bike tyres at filling stations. Be observant about the pressure, fill it slowly and dont take your eyes off the gauge.
I've used them a couple of times. Never much need for care over pressure, they only just get to half the pressure needed for a bike tyre.

Last time I tried (after a pump failure about 4 years ago) the car tyre inflater didn't even get up to the minimum pressure for the bike tyre (it got to 60 psi, the minimum for the tyre was 65 psi max 120 psi.) Just OK to limp home carefully on.

I have a presta adaptor in my toolkit though, just in case I'm forced to use a filling station again. (5 for 99p from China - how do they cover the 'free' P&P' ?)

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Wonderful bit of kit, and great for when the family are out on a ride with both valve types. Mine stays attached to the pump on the hybrid, though I carry a mini on the road bike since it only tends to be me out on that

Top Bottom