A new FF PB (running...)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Not much really to shout about by most peoples standards but...

I did my first ever ever ever non-stop 5000m last night! 30 mins.
I've never run this far in my life, I hate running but this stems from being put on a treadmill during cardio-rehab 2 years ago now and having to accompany my daughter to Athletics club every week (she's a complete whippet!).

Very very stiff this morning, but very chuffed. Just had to share my joy :blush:

Good on yer.

But a shame you're getting into 5K's at this time of the year : 5K's are a Summer thing, all the races now are 10K's as a minimum or Half's...

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Cheers andy.
I reckon I'll consolidate on 5k for a while and gently build toward 10k for next winter....I'd like to recover from this first!

Big Bren

Good for you.

I started running a bit more seriously a few months ago and did the BUPA Great Run in Sheffield as my first 'proper' 10k; I staggered over the line in exactly 53 minutes. Since then, I've been bitten by the PB bug and have been training pretty hard - I'm doing the Leeds Abbey Dash at the end of November and I'll be looking for a dramatic improvement.

Running is hateful and hard but bloody addictive!

Bren

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Running's fab, and as BB says, hugely addictive! Nice work FF, sensible plan to build up to 10k. I was going to do the Leeds Dash as well but have got other plans now unfortunately, it looks loads of fun!

graham56

Guru
Fab Foodie said:
Very very stiff this morning, but very chuffed.

I think most men feel the same every mornin. :biggrin:

TimO

Guru
I've run a few 10k's recently. I did the last one with essentially no training, only about 20miles in the preceeding few months.

I did intended to train, but I've had some sort of 'orrible cold that's been hanging around and I just didn't feel like doing much training. I still managed to do it in almost exactly an hour, which wasn't bad considering I wasn't even sure if I was going to actually turn up!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Big Bren said:
Good for you.

Running is hateful and hard but bloody addictive!

Bren

So true! Good run by the way!

Thing is I lumber/shuffle round the track on my own (my wife says I run like I've got a pole shoved up my arse), whilst others (adults and 8 year-old kids) fair spring around at a right old rate of knots doing all mkinds of fun stuff. I however need to travel gently with good cardio-efficiency to keep my HR down, but despite this frustrating lack of style and speed and my lifelong dislike of running, I have started to find it enjoyable...bloody painful always, but enjoyable.
I think there is a certain therapy in just mindlessly pootling round a track. If my daughter can't go for some reason I still turn up.
I reckon 10k is doable for next winter...damn, I'm becoming a runner :biggrin:

Top Bottom