A nice cuppa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I used to be a big pgtips person, but recently I've been converted to Yorkshire tea Gold. I'm finding I am liking it more and more.
I bet that costs a packet out there! (*groan*)

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Yorkshire tea, I have big catering sack from Costco.

The popular brand here is Lipton's Yellow Label which is a 'lighter' tea and rather good. Is it available in the UK?

Thankfully not.

Over about three decades on travels all over the Middle East and Africa, that weak pish was often the default tea everywhere I went, the only cup on offer, from Casablanca to Baghdad, from Al Bayda to Kabul.
My wife says it's my equivalent to Spike Milligan's "bloody awful Warsaw concerto". .. Ever present and ever unwelcome throughout my verbal memoirs. Forever unwilling to impart any discernable flavour into a vessel of hot water. Dreadful stuff that haunts my every waking, tea drinking moment.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Thankfully not.

Over about three decades on travels all over the Middle East and Africa, that weak pish was often the default tea everywhere I went, the only cup on offer, from Casablanca to Baghdad, from Al Bayda to Kabul.
My wife says it's my equivalent to Spike Milligan's "bloody awful Warsaw concerto". .. Ever present and ever unwelcome throughout my verbal memoirs. Forever unwilling to impart any discernable flavour into a vessel of hot water. Dreadful stuff that haunts my every waking, tea drinking moment.

There are much, much worse teas than lipton yellow label available here in Europe, particularly Italy.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I'm a PG Tips man myself at home.
In the office we have Sainsbury's red label and it's not bad.
I'm a Sainsbury's Red Label fan also, it is a fine blend and prefer this to Tetleys or Typhoo. MrsP also likes Thompson's every day blend.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Weirdly, no. Of course a lot more than you would pay, but extremely reasonable in relative terms for me: about 10 quid for 160 tea bags and cheaper for PG Tips. Well worth it for my cuppa!
I am paying 2p/bag so you pay about three times what I do! :eek:

I just spotted Knightsbridge Gold Blend - £0.95 for 80 bags at Lidl. If the tea tastes nice, that is a bargain price of 1.2p/bag. I'll give them a go first rather than PG Tips!

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
True, but I did say relatively. I can say I pay about 5 quid for a cheese pizza( a good one at that too) the size of a dustbin lid though, so it's not all bad 🙂

I am paying 2p/bag so you pay about three times what I do! :eek:

I just spotted Knightsbridge Gold Blend - £0.95 for 80 bags at Lidl. If the tea tastes nice, that is a bargain price of 1.2p/bag. I'll give them a go first rather than PG Tips!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Tescos selling the same bag for £9 - so saves the cost of Costco membership - we've had to be selective in Costco these days as the prices aren't always cheaper anymore [unless you can reclaim that and the VAT on stuff for work anyway, in which case it doesn't matter.]

Oh I'm not even a Costco member, someone bought me that big pack as a gift. I normally buy mine in the supermarket like you do, usually when it's on offer which is pretty regular.

There are much, much worse teas than lipton yellow label available here in Europe, particularly Italy.

Ooh, name and shame please! I have a bit of a perverse quest going to find the world's worst tea... up to now Lipton Yellow label is the one, closely followed by Bigelow teas in the USA, who bizarrely market themselves as high end, the discerning, tea lover's tea. 😄

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Whatever's cheapest at farmfoods.

I started work as an apprentice welder and our mugs were regularly filled with metal particles along with the tea so I got used to it not tasting the way it should. We joked that we had a daily dose of extra iron in our brews!
Even now my favorite mug only gets washed when the layer of old tea starts to break up leaving floaters on top.

Milzy

Guru
Red Bush is like having old wood in your mouth.
Been on Earl Grey recently, once you get used to the lemon type taste it's quite nice.

Top Bottom