A nice cuppa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kryton521

Über Member
PG Tips have been plastic free since 1988.

Just sayin'.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
PG Tips have been plastic free since 1988.
Don't just say it. Provide some evidence.
THIS is what they have to say on the subject...

PG Tips site said:
PG tips’ Pyramid tea bags are mostly made of paper. In the past, we did use a small amount of polypropylene (the most common type of plastic) as the seal to keep our signature pyramid teabags’ structure intact.

Our tea boffins have been busy finding a replacement for polypropylene. And good news, they found it! It’s a plant-based material derived from corn.

This means that everything inside our boxes of tea are now plant-based. We’ll raise a cuppa to that!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And HERE are the developments with Yorkshire Tea bags...

Yorkshire Tea site said:
Then we called in Sheffield University. Over the last few months, they've been helping us study the tea bag paper - and we reckon we've made a genuine breakthrough. We've used what we've learned to redevelop the tea bag paper itself, and the first rolls of that new improved paper are arriving in the next couple of weeks.

Next month we're going to make over 100 million tea bags with it to send out into the world. We're going to test the heck out of them before they head out the door, but the real test is when you start using them

If all goes well - fingers crossed - we can start rolling it out across the whole factory and get all UK Yorkshire Tea, Yorkshire Gold, Yorkshire Tea Decaf and Yorkshire Tea for Hard Water switched over by the end of next year (December 2020).

It's uncharted territory and there have been some pretty big bumps in the road already, so we have to be upfront about it being an aim, not a promise. What we do promise, though, is to try our best - and to keep being honest and transparent with you.

One last thing to mention is that we're not calling the new tea bags "plastic free”, which is a term you have probably read elsewhere. PLA is made from renewable corn starch and is industrially compostable, so it breaks down in a way that oil-based plastic doesn't, as long as it's disposed of in the right way (food waste and garden waste bins that go to the local council). But PLA is a bioplastic, and that’s technically still a kind of plastic, so we wouldn’t feel quite right calling it “plastic free”.

Tesco's Finest English Breakfast or Earl Grey here if I'm paying full price.

Although if there's tea to be had on yellow sticker, I'm fairly catholic. I have a stash of Tesco's Gold and Tetleys, plus Earl Grey, all bought because it was short dated or the boxes were bashed. I've just finished a box of Assam bought on YS. And there are boxes of Waitrose-branded loose tea in the cupboard that were also bought on YS.

Am not keen on Yorkshire Tea - find it too strong and too harsh. I like a brew that's robust but that won't strip the taste buds from my tongue.

But did I mention that I like tea? :whistle:

:cuppa:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Waitrose Gold Loose Leaf, brewed properly. Strong enough to let a mouse trot across.

ozboz

Guru
No real preferences, Yorkshire we stay away from , PG or Sainsbury’s Red Label are what normally ends up in the basket , I do work in lots of different houses so I will take whatever tea comes my way !

rikki

Legendary Member
Black, no sugar.
Tetley at work (which I notice are owned by Tata corporation), and
Amgoorie at home + Rooibos (African red bush tea) occasionally.
Amgoorie is an old Adelaide brand/blend only sold in South Australia and Western Australia. It's blended to "complement" our hard water!

Last edited:
Top Bottom