A nursery in my street

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You would be worried that the increasing traffic on your street would lead to having your bikes nicked?
<FacePalm>
Well that depends on what class of people the nursery is targeting as clients. But regardless of that I would be concerned with the increase in traffic, particularly mother distracted by kids sort of traffic. And also by the change of use from domestic to business. But most of all I would be concerned about the effect on property values.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
If it is a Montessori then I wouldn't worry about values dropping.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
House buyers are notoriously conservative, even though some like to claim they are not.

Given the choice of a house next to a nursery, and a house next to another house - like 99 per cent of the others on the market - the buyer is going to take that option.

I don't want to make too much of the increased likelihood of crime, but it's a fact burglars steal what they can see from where they happen to be.

If I walked 10 burglars down a street, the crime rate in that street would almost inevitably increase.

It's one of the reasons why people like quiet cul-de-sacs, although I take the point a property being too isolated also carries its own risks.

Firestorm

Veteran
It will need to be Ofsted registered and local council approved.
If its a nursery school there are strict staff to child ratios which depend on the age of the children
There are also regs about space facilities , security H&S as well

Slightly less if a registered child minder.
If the people live at the house as well, unless its a mansion, I doubt they would get the authority to have many kids
If not then they would have had to apply to the local council for a change of use

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It will need to be Ofsted registered and local council approved.
If its a nursery school there are strict staff to child ratios which depend on the age of the children
There are also regs about space facilities , security H&S as well

Slightly less if a registered child minder.
If the people live at the house as well, unless its a mansion, I doubt they would get the authority to have many kids
If not then they would have had to apply to the local council for a change of use

It appears to be properly set up, and appears to be the 'child minder not many kids' type.

If someone - the child minder - has got off their backside to start a small and reputable business, I'm not going to attempt to torpedo it, unless it annoys me greatly, which it does not at present.

Contrary to what some believe on here, my inclination is to live and let live.

But I do think it's an interesting discussion point for the cafe.

midlife

Guru
As an aside do the houses have any restrictive covenants? I'm not allowed to turn my house into a pub :sad:

Shaun

I can't see there being an increase in burglary type problems, My thinking being that child care isn't cheap, the kids being left there are being left because parents are working and unless their occupation is nefarious I can't see it making any difference. Indeed the place being normally occupied and visited may even be a deterrent.
Maybe marginal increase in vehicles during drop-off/pick-up but even then if it's child minding that won't necessarily be at school run times and there can't be that many in a house surely if it's properly registered? I've a friend who's wife did it for a bit and I think she was restricted to 3.
Parking problems? Personally it's the inconsiderate parking by neighbours that annoys me. Visitors go home after a bit, neighbours leave their cars all the time.

Would be cool if the parents started dropping off kids on a bike or bakfiets.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
As an aside do the houses have any restrictive covenants? I'm not allowed to turn my house into a pub :sad:

Shaun
If I remember rightly the deeds to my house exclude all sorts of commercial activities and one of the ones that sticks in my mind for some reason is the prohibition of any tannery type business.....

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Shaun

Fair point.

I own my gaffe and the deeds package is a pile of paper two inches thick, so there could be anything in there.

Covenants are notoriously difficult to enforce, not least because there's no obvious person or authority to do it.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
@Pale Rider I'm curious. How long do you think it would have taken you to noticed it if the sign hadn't been put up?

For what it's worth, the train of events was I was impeded by a double parked car, the driver emerged from the nursery house with a child, which drew my attention to the house.

I'm not sure if the sign was erected at that time, and it was dark.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Mind you, because the schools are sought after by the postcode chasing thieves, the house prices are rising faster than the cost of a replacement laptop.
sort of a lose-win situation innit.

Top Bottom