A nursery in my street

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This thread has taken a strange turn.

The OP can be taken at face value - it is what it is.

Nursery signs went up a few weeks ago and I wondered what the impact might be on me.

@400bhp - no notification from the council, which surprised me, unless a nursery under a certain size doesn't need planning permission.

I don't suppose this small nursery will bother anyone unduly, but the fact remains a house that's been a house for 130 years is now commercial premises.

What if someone else decides to turn their house into a business?

At some point the residential character of the street will have to be preserved.

400bhp

Guru

At some point the residential character of the street will have to be preserved.

You are allowed to. Whether you need planning permission depends upon certain factors.

subaqua

What’s the point
This thread has taken a strange turn.

The OP can be taken at face value - it is what it is.

Nursery signs went up a few weeks ago and I wondered what the impact might be on me.

@400bhp - no notification from the council, which surprised me, unless a nursery under a certain size doesn't need planning permission.

I don't suppose this small nursery will bother anyone unduly, but the fact remains a house that's been a house for 130 years is now commercial premises.

the council won't write to you directly. there will be notices posted legally it is up to you to read these.

MarkF

Guru
The house opposite was a lovely period property, the owner died and I wanted it (like the other dead neighbour's bike :tongue:) but I couldn't afford it. It becoming a nursery didn't bother me or anybody else AFAIK, it could have been worse, a massage parlour or perhaps leased by a cab company. Tbh I don't notice it operating apart from the kids going on walks and their safety gear annoying me, I can hear them playing outside on the summer but I like the sound of children having fun. :smile:

The house opposite was a lovely period property, the owner died and I wanted it (like the other dead neighbour's bike :tongue:) but I couldn't afford it. It becoming a nursery didn't bother me or anybody else AFAIK, it could have been worse, a massage parlour or perhaps leased by a cab company. Tbh I don't notice it operating apart from the kids going on walks and their safety gear annoying me, I can hear them playing outside on the summer but I like the sound of children having fun. :smile:
But but but what if the children set fire to a house or the parents steal a passing car or a nursery worker is also a drug dealer? What are you thinking man? Any of these things could happen which means statistically one DEFINITELY will.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I live next to a school and have no additional worries about my bikes. I am sure that there is an after school nursery somewhere on our road too. It's not something that I see as a street security issue. It's not difficult to avoid riding at 'busy' times. I'm more worried about the unemployed chap who is forever tinkering with his car, dead opposite my front door. I'm sure that he sees my bike more often than the local Mums.

I really think that you have nothing to worry about with it.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have received planning notices - bloke opposite wanted to put in a dormer window.

I think change of use to a nursery should be notified, although the fact it wasn't suggests it doesn't need to be.

There's certainly no subterfuge - there's a wooden sign board for the nursery in the front garden.

Don't know if it would have needed planning permission, but I'd be surprised if the house hadn't been inspected by whatever local council department oversees childrens services to ensure its safe for the children who will be there (I can imagine that being a long list of checks), that there is sufficient space for however many of them there will be, staffing levels.

Top Bottom