A nursery in my street

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Guru
We live in a society, and the road is a shared societal resource. We, as cyclists, may hate yummy mums taking Tarquinius to the nursery in a Chelsea tractor with a vengeance, but the underlying principle which we as cyclists care about even more passionately is that no one group has the right to appropriate the public resource that is roads for their own use and exclude others. So, in as far as the extra traffic on your road is concerned, sorry, unless it becomes something that the road is not physically able to cope with, that's part of living in a society.

400bhp

Guru
[QUOTE 3533407, member: 9609"]I would be concerned on how it would affect property prices, have a word with a valuer and see what they think, if it is likely it could knock 5% of the value then I would definitely complain -[/QUOTE]

But, what would this achieve? What would you do with the information?

I very much doubt a valuer is astute enough to consider it anyway. In some respects (dependant upon the area and suitable child care) it might actually increase the purchase price.

Overall, it's likely to be immaterial.

[QUOTE 3533744, member: 9609"]well, the OP asked if he should be concerned about a nursery being set up in his street, no one appears to tackled the house value stuff so i thought I would. I don't really know what affect it would have, but I suspect a slightly negative effect. If I was living in a busy street I would be looking to move and house prices would be of importance to me, so if I was advised of a negative affect I would become an objector, if it was positive I would support it, and if it made no difference then I couldn't care less.

Why ask a valuer - with the the good people of CC at the end of the key board there is not much point is there. So CC'ers, how may a nursery in my street affect the value of my house.

OT - what's the difference between Affect and Effect ? I have used both above but have no idea which is correct, a quick google left be even more confused.[/QUOTE]
Increase it's value to me as childcare was a core consideration when we bought our house 4 years. We dismissed whole areas where practically we couldn't see how it would work with 2 young kids and 2 full time working parents. What we have is awesome, I walk with my bike, the kids scoot, then I ride into work directly form there. My wife picks them up and walks home in the evening.

Last edited:
There was a paediatrician in Portsmouth whose house was graffitied and firebombed because the knuckle-dragging mouthbreathers got whipped up by the gutter press. Luckily, no-one as killed. I think over the years, the severity of the outcome has morphed with each retelling...
I've heard the similar story but also heard that is was widely spread but actually not true - like when the papers all ran the same story about the NK government being thrown into the pit of ravaging dogs - they all reported so it 'became true' it but it's source was a blogger who made it up.

This may shed some light

Is there a link to the actual original story, not just re-reporting?

Sometimes a small made-up nugget can dismiss a large group -

2 Spring to mind was the 'fact' that more Porsches were sold in Greece than any other European country so why should anyone help them? Porsche said completely untrue.

Why negotiate with Iran because he said they will wipe Isreal off the map. Now Iran's government is pretty nasty but that is simply not true and not a reason not to try and sit around a table with them.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Have they? I heard that was an urban myth - the paediatrician killed because those marching were too stupid to now the difference. Heard is was just used to ridicule some people for what was a genuine concern
No its not an urban myth. At least one round here, I know because I was peripherally involved in the trial of the 2 lads that tortured him to death because he looked the type and was the local loner, subject to malicious gossip that got out of hand.

No its not an urban myth. At least one in Manchester, I know because I was peripherally involved in the trial of the 2 lads that tortured him to death because he looked the type and was the local loner, subject to malicious gossip that got out of hand.
I'm sure that happens, but that's no the same as 'knuckle-dragging mouthbreathers' not being allowed to protest because they killed someone in a typo.

U

User482

There was a paediatrician in Portsmouth whose house was graffitied and firebombed because the knuckle-dragging mouthbreathers got whipped up by the gutter press. Luckily, no-one as killed. I think over the years, the severity of the outcome has morphed with each retelling...

A friend of mine was forced to move house after having her windows put through: it had previously been owned by a paedophile, and the address was made public.

brand

Have they got planning permission? if not and assuming they need it, report them. Why should everyone else have to get planning permission and not them?
People taking their kids to school or nursery are extraordinarily selfish in the way they park. Simply leaving the car blocking the road and nipping in the nursery. Worse when picking up they are worse standing around chatting and blocking your drive and even the road.
Ignore all these people who say/imply your a nimby. They would say, I don't mind but these mothers are particularly ignorant in the way they park, if it wasn't for that I wouldn't complain. Or the roads to narrow if it wasn't for that I wouldn't mind. Hypocrite one and all.

[QUOTE 3533744, member: 9609"]If I was living in a busy street I would be looking to move[/QUOTE]
Why would you be living in a busy street if you didn't want to be there? Surely you would have got a general feel for it looked elsewhere in the first place if it didn't suit what you wanted. Like buying a flat then moving because it doesn't have a garden. Characters of streets do change but it's not usually a dramatic quick change.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Just complain to the council it's too busy. Like when there were houses built next to the school my wife worked in and the people moved in, then complained about the noise from the playground...

Top Bottom