A poor man and a Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
andy_spacey

andy_spacey

Über Member
IMAG0369.jpg
Switzerland 5662ft

OP
OP
andy_spacey

andy_spacey

Über Member
Its day 47 and already nearly half way across Spain doing the Camino de Santiago so i am going to slow the place down to around 30-40 miles a day as am just getting so use to eating the miles

OP
OP
andy_spacey

andy_spacey

Über Member
the weather is cooler today as we had rain last nite. its around 20c with a bit of cloud but the last few days have been 37 to 40c on the road. by 9 am into the 20s so have been getting up and on bike for 6am and done for 2pm

OP
OP
andy_spacey

andy_spacey

Über Member
Just so you know. I did get up to 7992ft in Andorra and have the pics and vid to put up but i need to edit the files as they are in hd and to big to up load. I have take well over 2000 pics and have put a hand full up on my facebook group. A Poor Man And A Bike as it covers a lot more people that dont ride bikes and may get 1 or 2 of the people who see them to get out and give it a go, so if you ant all ready, take a look

JanMarten

I'm doing a similar route: started in Herefordshire - Portsmouth - Le Havre - Lyon - Chamonix - south thru' the Alps - Arles (start of my Camino de Santiago) Santiago - Fisterra - now on day 83 heading to eastern end of Douro Valley which I shall follow downstream to Porto - Lisbon - south east to Seville - south until I hit Morocco - Algeria - Tunisia - Italy. Bare bones travel; €6 a day, exc. ferries, bike maintenance, etc.
Ian

Bare bones travel; €6 a day, exc. ferries, bike maintenance, etc.
Ian

Apart from bike maintenance and ferries you are living on €6 a day for everything, food, accomadation, the lot?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Looking at your pics on fb, Andy. Never thought people do the road to Santiago on a bike, somehow I visualized most of them on foot. There seems to be quite a few bikes about. Cheers for that, keep us posted.

OP
OP
andy_spacey

andy_spacey

Über Member
There are around 2000+ people a day enter Santiago by bike. Some do the road route Like i did and some go off road with the walker, Plus you have the coast and inland routes, I am going to probably use the Camino de Portugal route to go south to faro

OP
OP
andy_spacey

andy_spacey

Über Member
Apart from bike maintenance and ferries you are living on €6 a day for everything, food, accomadation, the lot?

on good days the only money i spend is on food. Before i hit the south of France i used a campsite once in Dover, once in Belgium and once in Luxembourg and had two nights just the France side of mount blanc. The only money i have spent on my bike is 6euro, (3euro for oil and 3 euro to replace a inner tube. I always like to have two in my bag. I have been away 55day and done 2398miles and so far i have used just under £600. and half of that is campsites, I would like to point out i cook all my own food and i make real dinner like you would at home. real veg and meats. I am using a primus omnifuel. I am use liquid fuel and was paying Uk 7.80 per liter, Andorra 8.50 euro, France 13.50 euro and in spain 3,29 euro per liter. I don't know why i see so many hungry cyclist when you don't need to.

JanMarten

Blue Hills: Yes, €6 a day for everything. I never pay for accommodation, have a tent and always find somewhere (tonight I'm on the north bank of the River Douro, so that means a good wash tonight ;)). Food is either hot or cold (I carry an MSR gas stove) but always sufficient, plus fresh fruit and salads in season, wine, coffee and chocolate.
Andy: I also tried the Camino P heading south (blue arrows this time) but it's not well marked and too much amongst built up areas for my liking. And to be honest I've said 'bon Camino' enough already ;).

JanMarten

Blue Hills: Yes, €6 a day for everything. I never pay for accommodation, have a tent and always find somewhere (tonight I'm on the north bank of the River Douro, so that means a good wash tonight ;)). Food is either hot or cold (I carry an MSR gas stove) but always sufficient, plus fresh fruit and salads in season, wine, coffee and chocolate.
Andy: I also tried the Camino P heading south (blue arrows this time) but it's not well marked and too much amongst built up areas for my liking. And to be honest I've said 'bon Camino' enough already ;). It also misses out so much 'real' Portugal.

OP
OP
andy_spacey

andy_spacey

Über Member
yep i understand. its only a route. I don't really plan. i just take every day and go from there. But the last 8 days i have rode with a dutch man who followed the dutch planed route and it was good, Plus he speaks Spanish and that really has helped make this crossing of Spain smooth so i take my hat of to him but from Monday i am back to my own way of traveling. It has cost between 5 and 10euro to camp or stay in albugers which is better than 12 to 20 euros on the coast, If i had my way i would wild it every night or at least 5 nigth in a row the camp to wash cloths, but as you know and i have you can do that on the move,
But every day we learn.

Top Bottom