A poor man and a Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy_spacey

Über Member
Just over 5 weeks away,
Before ii go out for a ride on my bike around the block,
Coventry to Dover. Then Calais pass Dunkirk into Belgium. Then ride down the length of Belgium, Luxenbourg, Germany, Switzerland. Then maybe into Italy before turning Right to cross France in Spain to cross the Pyrenees before turning left to cycle the length of Portugal.
" A poor man and a Bike "
Last year I cycled from Coventry to Santander. I had planed to cycle down to faro but as I got sick 40miles from Santander can called it a day.
Not sure what it was. Could have been the 6days of 35 to 40c heat and riding all day or the water I had to drink out of the river. ( I did filler it)
This was my first long tour and I did 1154 miles and learnt a lot. As I cycled down the west coast of France on that tour I have chose this route for this one. I know its going to be a hard ride in parts but that's what makes it worth it. I will be camping all the way.
I do have a face book page, A poor man and a bike
Thanks
Andy

Brandane

Legendary Member
Good luck on your travels, Andy. That is just the sort of thing I would like to do, but unfortunately I am too fond of my home comforts to go away camping for that length of time. Hotels would put it way out of my reach on basis of cost (another poor man on a bike). I do still want to mark my 50th year by doing France from north to south this summer though :smile:.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
sounds amazing

good luck and post back afterwards to let us know how it went.

Unfortunately, I have never visited Facebook, and now I doubt I will

OP
OP
andy_spacey

andy_spacey

Über Member
@ Brandane. I like comfort to that's why I have a Exped mat , On my list trip a downmat 9cm dlx (1200g)and on this one a symat 7 Ul (480grams) and the chair kit. I all so use a dd travel hammock and 3x3m trap thats i use in the air and Terra nova lager laser 1 outer fly that I use when on the ground to cover the Hammock. Built in bug net.
I sleep so well with this set up and wake up fresh to ride every day.

@ Jonathanw. Face book is a great tool to use as long as you not let it take over you life, and dont add every tom,dick and harry to your friends' list. I am in contact with some of the best people in there field from all around the world and I am just a poor man and a bike... lol :-)

OP
OP
andy_spacey

andy_spacey

Über Member
well 11 days to go before the start.
Is any one over the near the west side of France (boarder) or touring any where near my planned/unplanned route.
Belgium, Luxenbourg, Germany, Switzerland before spain (
Camino de Santiago ) then
Portugal down to faro

Good luck and hope the weather is favourable :smile:

12 weeks on Sunday and I will be heading East from Valence to go play in the Alps, and then on into the Pyrenees. My first tour and starting to get butterflies :eek::bicycle:

Also on facebook, 1000mile ride for Sol

OP
OP
andy_spacey

andy_spacey

Über Member
Thats good, I will be cutting across past them parts on my way to the Pyrenees ( 3 to 5 weeks from now ). I should be on the other side of the pyrenees with in 12 weeks and heading into Portugal.. 3/4 of my trip is on the lumpy bits ..lol
I hope you raise lot of dosh

colly

Re member eR
Good luck Andy, and you OFF. I have promised myself trips of a similar nature but as always the usual stuff of life gets in the way.

I don't use Facebook either but I can access it via my sons account so maybe I can keep up your progress.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'll be cycling from Faro to Santander, Andy, but not until late June.
Have a good trip.

OP
OP
andy_spacey

andy_spacey

Über Member
@colly Facebook is a great tool but don't let it take over your like. I follow a lot of people that are cycling around the world and facebook keeps me upto date all in one place. Plus if you want to do it, then do it, If you want it, you make it happen.
I am a poor man and a bike,
Andy :-)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Funnily enough I have a laser large but I prefer the sound of your lager laser! Mine's a pint please!^_^

OP
OP
andy_spacey

andy_spacey

Über Member
well I leave here in 10day, I think in the hills i am going to be looking at 30 miles a day as i normally do 50-60 on normal roads,
I have 150days on my travel insurance and passport run out in October. I thnik my monthly distance will be anything from 600 to 1000 miles.
600= 30miles a day x 5days and 1000= 50miles x 5days, so I will be some where. I have not planed anything. only the first bit getting down to Dover.

As for the large laser, I only use the outer fly, In side I use a DD travel hammock (built in bug net & water proof bottom) as my sleeping pod. I use 2 6x4 ground sheets. But I have a 3x3 m DD trap. This set meant I can hang in the trees or the ground,which bets being in a tent most of the time, I can get the bike under the tarp and just take stuff out the bag as i need and just sit there in the hammock as a chair. every thing stays so much cleaner, your not getting in and out of the tent every 5 min, you see every thing around you, even in the rain,
OK its 1kg more and a little more bulky but also when its hot i have more option, i can sleep under the starts and not get eat buy bugs or i can put the trap over the tent with a space between the two and shade the tent from the sun and this keeps the tent cool, i have the front of the tent open and still sleep but free. I get the same benefits of a MSR hubb a hubba ( I can pitch free standing to)but with the options of getting off the ground which make wild camping in woods and that's much nice

I use the tent set up for real high winds and some camp-site( inner city)

andy
Ps I am poo at this typing stuff. sorry for any spelling mistakes.
IF i bump into you , I get you 1 lol

stephenjubb

Über Member
I think you may have a problem.

I noticed your passport runs out in october, this immediately rang alarm bells, some countries need you to have six months left on your passport before expiring before you enter their country.

I checked Switzerland passport requirements at

http://www.worldtravelguide.net/switzerland/passport-visa

Passports:
To enter Switzerland, a passport valid for three months after intended period of stay is required by all nationals referred to in the chart above, except:
(a)nationals of the EU (1), holding a valid national identity card, providing not taking up employment, for stays of up to three months;
(b)nationals of Austria, Belgium, France, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Portugal and Spain (2) with normal passports, expired for up to five years, providing not taking up employment, for stays of up to three months;
(c) nationals of Germany (3) with passports expired for up to one year.

point a, above does not apply, although you are an EU National as I understand point a, you need to be an EU National holding a national identity card which the UK does not have.

If you are entering Switzerland before august (3 months before october) you will be fine.

I hope others can prove me wrong.

cheers

Steve Jubb

Top Bottom