A possible Brompton purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I can see your point about buying the best one possible, and I believe the SON light has a "stationary" mode whereby the light stays on when you stop at lights etc... not sure if the Shimano does this ...

Hmmm.... any thoughts on handlebars, or is it just a "suck it and see" sort of thing ? The P-type look interesting, but I'm not sure that there really are that many different hand positions with it. Perhaps S or M with some bar-ends ?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Most Shimano dynamos have a capacitor which keeps the lights on for minute or two at rest, so it's almost certain the one fitted to the Brompton does.

Even my old bottle dynamo did that.

I have M type bars, as most people do, but have never tried the others.

I find the Ms a touch narrow, so if buying again, I would want to check if the flat bars offer a bit more width.

The butterfly bars divide opinion.

As you say, there may not be that many usable hand positions.

And one thing's for sure, the brakes are only in one place, so practically, that might limit where you want to put your hands.

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
@Pale Rider - Thanks for this excellent information, if the Shimano lights stay on for a minute or two, then for the difference in price I can probably cope without the SON :smile:. The S type bars looked a little low and racy to me, but I will try and give all the types a short test drive before I decide.

@Sara_H - Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I am getting so much info :smile:

Does anyone know if I can specify the colour and configuration in a bike shop like Evans, or is that only possible on the Brompton website ?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
@Pale Rider - Thanks for this excellent information, if the Shimano lights stay on for a minute or two, then for the difference in price I can probably cope without the SON :smile:. The S type bars looked a little low and racy to me, but I will try and give all the types a short test drive before I decide.

@Sara_H - Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I am getting so much info :smile:

Does anyone know if I can specify the colour and configuration in a bike shop like Evans, or is that only possible on the Brompton website ?

Evans - or any Brommie dealer - can go through the customising process with you.

The more I hear about Evans, the less they impress me.

With that in mind, I would look for the nearest independent local bike shop Brommie dealer and consider buying from them.

Another reason to do that might be the price.

There are generally no discounts on Bromptons, and Brompton have been known to sack a dealer - Spa Cycles - for knocking a bit off.

However, I happen to know my local Brommie dealer will give about 10 per cent, particularly if the customer is nice and/or has specced the bike up a bit.

I expect Evans would not be that, er, flexible.

fimm

Veteran
Another Brompton owner here. I've had mine 7-8 years, so some of what I've saying may be out of date.
I have a rear rack that someone gave me when their (very old) Brompton died. The shop fitted it for me. I don't use it much, as others have said it isn't that convenient, but it is very useful on occasions!
I also have the front bag and I use that all the time. Be warned that it is very tempting to put too much into it! The bike does feel different without it.
I have a three-speed hub gear. I can "honk" it up some reasonable hills, but I'm fairly light and fit.
I just have battery lights. That works fine for me. (But dynamo wasn't an option for me at the time I got mine).

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I am hoping to use the cyclescheme thingy to pay for it, so I am rather limited in which dealers I can pick. I will have a search around and see if anyone but Evans is a possibility.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I am hoping to use the cyclescheme thingy to pay for it, so I am rather limited in which dealers I can pick. I will have a search around and see if anyone but Evans is a possibility.

Fair enough.

Discount on a CycleScheme bike is hard to come by from any shop because they have to give the scheme operators 10 per cent.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My two pennies worth.
Rear rack is just an expensive way to add a kilo to the weight. The front luggage system is much better and lighter when not in use, and improves the handling.

S bars for me feel far more like a normal bike than M bars which I found a bit flexi. They are lower though, which is prob why I like them.

If cost is a consideration do you really need a dynamo, there are lots of strap on USB rechargeable lights around for under £50 a pair.

I bought a 3 speed with the higher gearing a 54 chainring, which was a bit macho and when I moved to a more hilly location swapped to the 50T which was a better choice. I had manage to pedal the crank arm off the chainring. So needed a new one anyway!

Tyres I originally used the. bromptonkelver tyres, but switched to marathons which I found grip better and have better puncture protection. They are gits to put on when new though!

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Allow an hour for a rear tyre change and 45 minutes for the front and you wont be far wrong

Flippin' 'eck ! I can change my "normal" bike tyre in 10 minutes, and that includes removing the wheel, replacing the wheel and pumping the thing back up.

Can you get puncture-proof 20" tyres ? :smile:

Top Bottom