A possible Brompton purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
With a bit of luck I'm joining the fold tomorrow* :hyper:

This was a little unexpected. I've hankered after one for years but have no reason to justify one. However I had been investigating Bromptons recently since I realised you could get a decent hard-shell 'flight case' for them. As I travel a lot and occasionally have some time to kill it seemed a perfect solution. Then I saw an S6Lwith SON s/h from Fossala OTP and the Mrs said yes (I have a small bonus coming ... and she's of skiing soon ... it's a great arrangement!).

To be fair I'm bloody excited!

My researching to date had put me in 2 minds ... the lightweight route = S2L with battery lights or the whole hog with an S6L with dynohub. I must admit to have become a convert to both full mudguards and Dynamo hubs since buying the Rourke. The bike stays cleaner and it's great always having light available without having to think about it. OK there is a slight weight penalty, but you very soon get used to that. Drag is bugger-all.

Can't wait!

*This is assuming that Parcelfarce do their job

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Allow an hour for a rear tyre change and 45 minutes for the front and you wont be far wrong
Are you having a BBQ whilst changing the tyres? 15-20 mins tops, for the rear wheel just lay the bike on its side and crack on with it.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Are you having a BBQ whilst changing the tyres? 15-20 mins tops, for the rear wheel just lay the bike on its side and crack on with it.
When I have the rear wheel off I tend to end up cleaning everything - inside the mud guard, the sprockets, etc - so it does take ages.

Never thought of doing it with the bike on it's side. Is that easier than upside down?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes it's way easier as you can take most of the tension out of the chain tensioner, by part folding the real wheel up

Fab Foodie

OMG!
It arrived at 8am this morning ... and she's beautiful :wub:
I've had a quick ride around the block and she's an absolute hoot.

@cisamcgu DO NOT RIDE ONE*

*Unless you have your credit card available ......

fimm

Veteran
Once you have had the back wheel on and off a few times, it becomes less intimidating. But I admit that quick-release it is not...
The first time my boyfriend and I put in a new tube there was a lot of swearing involved with getting the tyre on and off. However I think as it has got older the tyres have got less stiff and I can deal with them fine on my own now.

The great advantage of the rack is not so much for putting stuff on but that it makes it much more stable with the wheel tucked under or when folded, and the wheels.

@Fab Foodie, enjoy yours!

Fab Foodie

Yay! What colour is it? Have you accessorised it much yet?
Not much ,,, yet!
That's for this evening. :-)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Top Bottom