A possible Brompton purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Wow, what a day! I thought it was only me that had days like that ....

What did you think of the ride, gearing, joy?
I'm certainly thinking of down-gearing mine having tried a few steep hills on it with the 44t? chainring, so have a think about where else you'll be riding it. I've been riding mine in Bristol the last 2 days and the riverside bits are fine .... but the rest .....

The ride was superb really, a little twitchy but nothing to worry about - it has M-type handlebars, which seemed fine to me, giving the right combination of position and control. I might try the S-type if I get the chance. The gearing is another matter though - it was a six gear bike but the gearing was way too high for me really; Liverpool is pretty flat, but I still would have liked a lower gear - I didn't need it but would have liked it - I think when I order one (assuming Mrs Cisamcgu relents) I will get the reduced gearing option.

Overall it was a delight to ride even in the rain, and hopefully I will be the owner of a classic black one in the next month or so !

Thanks
Andrew

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Your new Brompton will be very desirable to thieves and snatch thefts from trains are not unknown.

No doubt you will work out your own routine, but you need to keep hold of the bike at least until the train doors are shut.

My problem was spending too much time looking after the bike, and not enough looking after my bag !! But you are right, I will need to get into a routine so I automatically pick up everything.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Lower gearing may mean you can get away with a three speed, which is a little simpler, cheaper and lighter.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
We have an arrangement with Brompton Bike Hire which means I have a dock outside of my office Window and unless it's changed can join the scheme for a tenner a year and 'hire' a Brompton for free during the week, or £6 per day at weekends. I've not bothered, but I guess it'd be worthwhile if riding one took my fancy. Apparently the bikes are M3L's with Dynamo lights, 3 gears, Telescopic seat post, Carrier block for Brompton front luggage, Mudguards, Bell and a Pump. Which I'm sure means something to someone...

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Currently waiting for my CycleScheme certificate...
upload_2015-3-3_3-19-30.png

What about green ?

:smile:

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I swing between black ('cos it is classic and free), racing green (my fav colour), cobalt blue (sophisticated, 'init) and some green and orange monstrosity (kewl) !
upload_2015-3-3_7-5-5.png

Top Bottom