A 'prune' question....for you prune eaters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I don't know about prunes but my toddler's decided to have dates for breakfast.

rualexander

Legendary Member
I may be wrong but I think a lot of the dried fruit we get these days is partially rehydrated to make it soft and squishy, but the consequence of this is reduced shelf life.
Traditional dried fruit which is harder and drier should last much longer.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I quite like dried apricots but found they gave me heartburn ( probably the Sulphur Dioxide used as a preservative) One Sunday I was out doing a long run with a friend, she had a “bum bag” with her phone and a few essentials. She had a small bag of apricots that she’d decanted from a pack from Waitrose, they were more of a dark brown than orange, plump, juicy and preservative free.
They were the perfect pick me up, a revelation as to how good they could be.

GlamorganGuy

I find psyllium husk or linseed (ground or whole) just as effective in keeping me regular, without the farts and bloating that prunes tend to cause.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
These are a good outfit OP, and well priced for all manner of organic goodies. Your thread took me to The Squatty Potty, which you may like to investigate for colon health. like others, I find linseed and plenty of fibre is beneficial :hello:

MntnMan62

Über Member
I bought some the other week as much out of curiosity as anything. It was rather pleasant, although I presume the juice might not have the same laxative effects as eating them? Can’t say I noticed anyway. :laugh:

Oh no. That would be a wrong assumption. I once bought a large bottle of prune juice out of curiosity and found I had the same reaction to it as you did. Quite pleasant. I liked it. But I drank that bottle pretty quickly. Same day. Later that day I was regreting having consumed it so quickly. If you need the laxative effects of prunes, no better way to go than drinking a bunch of the stuff.

Oh no. That would be a wrong assumption. I once bought a large bottle of prune juice out of curiosity and found I had the same reaction to it as you did. Quite pleasant. I liked it. But I drank that bottle pretty quickly. Same day. Later that day I was regreting having consumed it so quickly. If you need the laxative effects of prunes, no better way to go than drinking a bunch of the stuff.
Possibly true. A student interail trip of mine went on pause in verona for a day after a travelling companion drank a very large carton of prune juice and was confined to a public toilet.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Prunes are amazing, I love 'em. I often have prunes and yoghurt, in fact, if I could only have one thing for pudding for the rest of my life, that would be it.
I get mine from Aldi, dried, pitted, in a bag.
My father and his three brothers all died from bowel cancer at the same age. I'm not taking any chances!
Excellent. I am planning Aldi tomorrow.
Where abouts will I find them ?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I bought some the other week as much out of curiosity as anything. It was rather pleasant, although I presume the juice might not have the same laxative effects as eating them? Can’t say I noticed anyway. :laugh:
Have you checked inside your kecks today??

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
If you don't like prunes Dave use something else.
I can recommend a chicken stir fry of an evening with minimal chicken and lots and lots of veg, with generous amounts of sliced turnip. If you have to go out, particularly on the bike, in the morning, allow a couple of hours in the morning to allow your innards to do their stuff. Set up for the day.
In short, you don't have to eat prunes - it's not a commandment.,
Agree! I had a chopped mexican salad for dinner yesterday... roast peppers, tomatoes, roasted corn, mango, black beans. Dressing was oil, orange juice, lime juice, garlic, honey and shallot. I nearly blew the roof off the house this morning.

Top Bottom