A 'prune' question....for you prune eaters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
If you have to go out, particularly on the bike, in the morning, allow a couple of hours in the morning to allow your innards to do their stuff. Set up for the day.

This above.

I've read the other thread and...well let's just say I'm glad I've reached a forum where "delicate personal" issues are discussed. Have really suffered over the years but since lockdown I'm possibly fitter than I've ever been in my life, sleep and eat well and the constipation is thankfully not an issue at present.

BUT.... When I have to go, I HAVE to go. I wouldn't dare go out on the bike until after my ablutions (normally following within a couple of hours of 2 cups of double strength black coffee). So I've happily become 'regular' but sometime mid morning. I've hopes of joining a local cycling club who ride early(ish) Weds and Sunday mornings but I'm not sure they'll welcome me hovering near the nearest large supermarket for my relief when the urge arrives.

Q. Has anyone ever retrained their system? How quickly do prunes work? Does anyone else have a strategy that allows them to get out early?

I've been an early riser all my life and finding the hanging around waiting for the "all clear" irksome.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
This above.

I've read the other thread and...well let's just say I'm glad I've reached a forum where "delicate personal" issues are discussed. Have really suffered over the years but since lockdown I'm possibly fitter than I've ever been in my life, sleep and eat well and the constipation is thankfully not an issue at present.

BUT.... When I have to go, I HAVE to go. I wouldn't dare go out on the bike until after my ablutions (normally following within a couple of hours of 2 cups of double strength black coffee). So I've happily become 'regular' but sometime mid morning. I've hopes of joining a local cycling club who ride early(ish) Weds and Sunday mornings but I'm not sure they'll welcome me hovering near the nearest large supermarket for my relief when the urge arrives.

Q. Has anyone ever retrained their system? How quickly do prunes work? Does anyone else have a strategy that allows them to get out early?

I've been an early riser all my life and finding the hanging around waiting for the "all clear" irksome.
If I have understood your post correctly the strong black coffee appears to cause the quick reaction. Maybe on the early start club run days forgo the strong coffee .

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Juan whilst you are correct, it's more that I know "it's " there and I need it gone. The black coffee speeds this up. If I haven't succeeded I wouldn't dare set off unless I am sure a toilet was near at hand. I do avoid coffee before car journeys, but cycling (or other strenuous activity) puts my body under increased "stress" over control. This has been with me for more than a decade and maybe something I have to live with. It's inconvenient but not disastrous or health threatening.

Just interested if others have tips about managing regularity.

This above.

am afraid I think the only system is to get up extra early - the evening meal with high high veg content, particularly some sorts of veg, then let it do its stuff in those two or three hours before leaving.I'm no doc, but I assume that during sleep everything goes into slowmo, including your guts - pretty sure my vegvegveg meal would kick in far faster if I hadn't gone to bed soon after. But I like my sleep.
My routine before an early start - veg heavy meal in the evening (have been known to steam - not much over 5 minutes - half a cabbage with balsamic vinegar and some bits added for taste) , retire early, up early early, SEVERAL espressos - while I wait cruise cyclechat, particularly the argumentive ranting bits of PACA, then clear all the lot out, including PACA, with a trip to the throne, then out the door to a bright new day.
This sort of comforting "all clear" is of course even more important at the current time with many facilities still shut.

I think there is a theory that night before a big ride you should eat a pile of pasta. Veg for me.

Like you am an early riser - some farming genes I think plus some mad family trips in the middle of the night when a kid which means I see getting up in "the middle of the night" as a bit of an adventure.

edit on the coffee - I am an espresso- head - I don't think the coffee helps with the "clearing", at least for me, but I don't think it does me any harm at all - in fact after a few I usually have another shot just before I head out the door - gees me up - I think caffeine has also been shown to help with "training" though I am not a sports cyclist by a long chalk.

Last edited:

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Juan whilst you are correct, it's more that I know "it's " there and I need it gone. The black coffee speeds this up. If I haven't succeeded I wouldn't dare set off unless I am sure a toilet was near at hand. I do avoid coffee before car journeys, but cycling (or other strenuous activity) puts my body under increased "stress" over control. This has been with me for more than a decade and maybe something I have to live with. It's inconvenient but not disastrous or health threatening.

Just interested if others have tips about managing regularity.
The only other suggestion I have is to investigate advise given to sufferers of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, it may help. Sorry if you have thought of this already.

Julia9054

Guru
The only other suggestion I have is to investigate advise given to sufferers of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, it may help. Sorry if you have thought of this already.
I have found that avoiding foods with artificial sweeteners in has transformed my IBS. I don't know which sweetener triggers it so just avoid all of them.

I have found that avoiding foods with artificial sweeteners in has transformed my IBS. I don't know which sweetener triggers it so just avoid all of them.
I'd add to that trying to avoid as much as possible processed and pre-packaged food/meals - no need for it. The aim principal aim of the manufacturers is to make you want to come back for another value added box, not benefit your innards.

Julia9054

Guru
I'd add to that trying to avoid as much as possible processed and pre-packaged food/meals - no need for it. The aim principal aim of the manufacturers is to make you want to come back for another value added box, not benefit your innards.
Don't prunes count as processed and pre packaged foods?
After all, they are dried and packaged or tinned.

Don't prunes count as processed and pre packaged foods?
After all, they are dried and packaged or tinned.
Not really in my book, or nothing much to worry about on balance - always check the ingredient list of course.
I was really referring to ready meals and the like, or stuff heavily pre-cooked.
This covers stuff at the bottom of the market plus also at what the likes of sainsburys would like you to think is at the top of the market, derived from/inspired by renaissance italian cuisine or whatever other marketing bollockry.
I use lots of tins of tomatoes, usually with small tomatoes from the market added. Keeps me regular.

GlamorganGuy

I find drinking water as soon as I wake up is a simple and effective way of speeding things along. Have a bottle of water beside your bed so you can start drinking it first thing. This will have the added advantage of being at room temperature, much better for the system than drinking something freezing cold. Doing a few squats and a bit of yoga also gets me going a bit faster when I need to leave early. Totally sympathise with this timing issue, very frustrating having to leave home for a meeting/ flight before nature has taken its course, then being preoccupied with trying to do the business elsewhere, usually with zero success in my experience.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
I find drinking water as soon as I wake up is a simple and effective way of speeding things along. Have a bottle of water beside your bed so you can start drinking it first thing. This will have the added advantage of being at room temperature, much better for the system than drinking something freezing cold. Doing a few squats and a bit of yoga also gets me going a bit faster when I need to leave early. Totally sympathise with this timing issue, very frustrating having to leave home for a meeting/ flight before nature has taken its course, then being preoccupied with trying to do the business elsewhere, usually with zero success in my experience.
Interesting, how big is the flask, ie how much water do you consume?
Currently I drink 1\2 a glass overnight and another one with muesli \bran\melon\natural yoghurt mix for breakfast . I do stretch every morning and do core exercises 2or3 times a week. both before breakfast.
Sadly though I've read about the benefits of room temp drinks, I do love iced water. Will try a month without.

Also have been drinking 2 or 3 cans of Caffeine free Diet Coke (my Daughters favourite) a day. Will pass on these for next month and see if this helps.

Will diarise to update thread in a month or so to see if these changes help me.

PS do any of you agree with my missus that I'm a bit obsessed with all this? No me neither. Thanks for the feedback.

GlamorganGuy

Interesting, how big is the flask, ie how much water do you consume?
Currently I drink 1\2 a glass overnight and another one with muesli \bran\melon\natural yoghurt mix for breakfast . I do stretch every morning and do core exercises 2or3 times a week. both before breakfast.
Sadly though I've read about the benefits of room temp drinks, I do love iced water. Will try a month without.

Also have been drinking 2 or 3 cans of Caffeine free Diet Coke (my Daughters favourite) a day. Will pass on these for next month and see if this helps.

Will diarise to update thread in a month or so to see if these changes help me.

PS do any of you agree with my missus that I'm a bit obsessed with all this? No me neither. Thanks for the feedback.
Around a pint of water in the first half hour after waking. I understand that cold drinks make the blood vessels contract and that this doesn't help get the digestive system moving. Hot liquids seem to be beneficial for many people though - my dad used to swear by a cup of boiling water with a slice of lemon in the morning. Having some version of a fibrous breakfast (muesli, linseed, prunes, yoghurt etc) the evening before, instead of in the morning, also helps. Another lesson learned from Dad!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I got a telling off from a consultant for not drinking enough water. She reckoned I should consume at least 4 pints or possibly 5 pints of water per day to avoid constipation. I add a little hot water to each glass to avoid it being too cold.
I can be a bit of a nuisance but once you get into a routine you can judge when the overflow will appear and time your consumption and activities to suit. Unless very tired it can result in more night time visits to the loo than I would like but otherwise seems to work ok.

Top Bottom