A Question For Coffee Drinkers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I occasionaly enjoy a GOOD cup of coffee........BUT....................
As I dont drink it often enough I cant justify a real/proper coffee machine........(a friend has one and it makes lovely coffee but at a price-and he drinks lots of it---which I dont).

We tried one of those cafetiere thingies but wasnt too impressed.
I don't really enjoy standard instant coffee.

Is there such a thing a instant coffee that tastes like "real" coffee (if you know what I mean) ??
Or any other suggestions (preferably sensible ones:rolleyes:)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
As I dont drink it often enough I cant justify a real/proper coffee machine........(a friend has one and it makes lovely coffee but at a price-and he drinks lots of it---which I dont).

Is there such a thing a instant coffee that tastes like "real" coffee (if you know what I mean) ??
No there's not. :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A Cafetiere should work well if you put enough coffee grounds in, about 3 times as much as you'd put in a cup of instant coffee. :eek: per cup.
A lot of people think its just the same as instant but that has been concentrated whereas you only get the flavour from the grounds and then discard them.

Cubist

Still wavin'

You don't need to spend the earth to enjoy a decent coffee. There's a lot of guff online from the "cognoscenti" about which machines are good, and which should be avoided, but have a look in Currys or wherever at De Longhi. They change model spec more often that I change my pants, so there are always some discontinued bargains around. Many years ago (Santa and ) Mrs Cube picked up a De Longhi machine for less that forty quid, and after a few goes at learning to use it properly it produces a good cup of espresso, and steamed milk for lattes and so on. Similarly more guff is expounded around the quality of grinders, but I have a basic steel bladed grinder which perfectly happily smashes my chosen beans to powder which can be used in the coffee maker. As an occasional drinker I am not sufficiently subtle of palate to differentiate between a "ceramic burr-ground cup of Gaggia professional" espresso to what I can produce in the kitchen with fifty quid's worth of kit. The trick is to use the right amount of the beans that taste good to you, to make an espresso that isn't too long. Too many people make the mistake of using a single measure of coffee to make a double espresso, and wonder why it tastes crap.

There is no such thing as a decent cup of instant coffee. All this Barrista standard shite is marketing nonsense. Some taste marginally better than the the others, but none of them are barrista standard.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
As above, a cafetiere is cheap and efficient, but its all about the coffee!
I love my coffee, but there are an awful lot that I don't like, especially the dark Italian ones.
This place used to do a selection of different coffees as a "starter pack" type idea, they rotate them every Month. I tried loads before settling on my favourite (which I now buy by the kilo!)

For what it's worth, their Ethiopian Mocha is my all time favourite. Smooth and gamey without being bitter but it's all individual taste.
I've never had any instant coffee that's a patch on proper coffee.

BigAl68

Über Member
Find a roast you like and a cafetiere should be fine. Personally I have a krups machine in the kitchen and a cafetiere. At work an aeropress but I can drink gallons of coffee a day and it's probably not good for me but working in a heart hospital I am in the right place if my ticker goes boom

nappadang

Über Member
A french press is fine with decent coffee but you can buy a cheap machine from Argos for buttons. 4 of us at work chipped in £5 each and bought a perfectly serviceable machine, filters and 2 bags of Sainsbury coffee.

pclay

Veteran
I am a cofree addict and my tool of choice is a moka pot, aka stove top coffee maker. You can pick one up for about £8 in tk maxx. 3 cup size is ideal for one person - this means it will make 3 espresso shots. Add hot water to your espresso to make it long.

• Coffee machines are probably the technology to turns to white elephant real soon no matter how much cheap or expensive they are and no matter the amount of research they want into it even for a coffee addict. Its value is when you have a party and no one else in your guest list has one and not because it makes coffee but you have one.
  • The irony is that coffee machines are actually the best to extract good coffee but the setup, maintenance, incovenience, taking up space etc more than overwhelms everything else.
  • Aeropress is the best to get flavour out of good quality coffee for speed and convenience with a grinder to get the best beans crushed.
  • Then you have some good brands of instant coffee. Don't stick to one, like wine, keep having variety.
Ps. The Mrs drinks tea but was the driving force to buy a coffee machine. And I am the coffee addict. That should explain alot.

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
Just get one of these:-

1299.jpg

Less than a fiver and makes great coffee :thumbsup:

Top Bottom