A question for the olduns on here.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Location
Oxford
My legs have definitely grown, it’s a proper stretch putting a pair of socks on.
 

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Have you noticed that as you get older your toe nails get further away and hence more difficult to reach :blush: .
I (aged 70) was discussing that subject with one of my sister's neighbours (aged 77) last month. Neither of us can stretch down to touch our toes; we can barely reach our shins!

Our conversation was overhead by another neighbour (late 70s) who declared that toe-touching was not a problem, and proved it to us. In fact, knuckles on the ground wasn't a problem either. She then completed our humiliation by stretching down and putting the palms of her hands on the ground...

Time for me to start doing stretching exercises!
 
Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Location
Cheshire
Like @Dogtrousers, even as a kid I couldn't touch my toes (without cheating). Then when I was 19 I had a lifting accident which chipped a lower vertebrae.
Re the socks issue i get over that by sitting down and cooking my foot over the other knee and sliding the sock on.
Re cutting toenails I sit on a low stool, cut one or two, sit up for a breather the go again.
Below is my toe nail operating stool.
20260824_094212.jpg
 

Dogtrousers

Lefty tighty. Get it righty.
Have you noticed that as you get older your toe nails get further away and hence more difficult to reach :blush: .
What else has crept up on you?

Being unable to get off my bike. I'm seriously considering the possibility of a dropper seatpost so I can drop the saddle so I can get my leg over it. Either that or transferring to the Brompton permanently.

And before anyone suggests, yes I do tilt the bike over. I basically have to lie the damn thing on its side.
 

Sharky

Legendary Member
Location
Kent
Being unable to get off my bike. I'm seriously considering the possibility of a dropper seatpost so I can drop the saddle so I can get my leg over it. Either that or transferring to the Brompton permanently.

And before anyone suggests, yes I do tilt the bike over. I basically have to lie the damn thing on its side.

Saw a video, where they stood behind the bike and raised the bike vertically, so only the back wheel was on the ground. Then they walked forward, over the saddle and then lowered the front wheel down.
 

figbat

Former slippery scientist
I've never been able to touch my toes, even when I was a kid.

Same here. I used to cop some stick from the PE teacher for it too. I have stretched and stretched and still never been able to.

Being unable to get off my bike. I'm seriously considering the possibility of a dropper seatpost so I can drop the saddle so I can get my leg over it.

That’s almost all I use my dropper post for! Whenever I stop I drop it so I can stay seated whilst I’m stationary and I drop it for mounting and dismounting.

I do also occasionally use it for technical trails but that is by far the minority use.
 
Top Bottom