A Queue moan thread !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I go to Morrison's once a week and haven't had to queue to get in the last few times. They manage it quite well and have a person at the front who will direct you to the next available till. Our local Hardware/Home furnishings store (with an Iceland inside) is also very good. I've had to queue longer there, but even a 10 person queue is gone in about 5 minutes. I think this will be the future

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Time to practice the well timed cough, then follow up with "I haven't been feeling well lately" ...

I accidentally did that a few weeks ago. I'd been out on the bike in the morning, and I'm usually a bit sneezy or dry throated after. A group of 4 older people kept getting way to close in a long queue - I moved away, then followed. I could feel a sneeze coming on for ages, managed to 'stop' one, but a second shot out. The guy near me nearly pooped himself. I may have been laughing on the 'inside'.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Really..... 0745 and I may be the only customer, sometimes maybe 5 or 6.
Re the wine, I chose a red called Toro Loco. Way too dry for me.

Yes, I have sampled a few reds of that brand. Just bought yet another, today, chanced four bottles, Hope I like it, otherwise, I will have to force it down. ;)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I was surprised that there was no queue to get in at Morrisons, but worked my way round their new one-way system and eventually came upon a queue to the checkouts and escape. It took me 20 minutes to get to the point where I was able to self-checkout. It looked like another 5 minutes for those going to the tills.
Does your Morrisons also make people queue up snaking around the virus-retaining clothing aisles and shout at you at regular intervals? I've not been back.

The oddest thing is the local town Sainsburys. Two branches. One seems to be run by idiots, with queues around the car park, still suffering random stock shortages and so on, while the other is well-stocked, with not much queuing except to collect from the in-store Argos and the staff are just lovely.

In general, I'd say try not to shop on weekends, lunch times or go into supermarkets on market days or special-offer days, but if you have to do a top-up shop, village stores are really doing much much better than town ones. Lots of pubs have converted their function rooms into shops, too.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I find Toolstation so ridiculously cheap that I'll get a tenners worth of stuff just to get it delivered. So if I need a small piece of ironmongery at £1.44 I'll add a couple tins of brake cleaner or similar that I know I'll use in time. No queuing involved!

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
And Toolstation do free delivery if it's over a tenner. Some stuff is out of stock for delivery but most things I've wanted had been in stock
Used to be free delivery for £10 plus. Over £25 now, under that it's a £5 delivery charge.
I found this out yesterday when our antiquated door bell finally gave up the ghost. My choice, wireless with one plug-in and one battery powered speaker, came in at £24.98. Suppose I could have ordered some batteries to take it over the limit, but a) we needed it quite urgently, and 2) it gave me a good excuse for a 20km round trip on the Brommie. Very quick turnaround. Pretended to take a swig from the hand gel dispenser while the chap's back was turned, making sure he saw me as he turned back. Him, shocked, "Were you drinking from that?". Me, after licking lips, "No, just trying to make you think so. Great customer service as usual, by the way."

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I find Toolstation so ridiculously cheap that I'll get a tenners worth of stuff just to get it delivered. So if I need a small piece of ironmongery at £1.44 I'll add a couple tins of brake cleaner or similar that I know I'll use in time. No queuing involved!
Whoops, I took too long typing. As I just posted, it's now £25 and over for free delivery. Toolstation is usually, but not always, cheaper than Screwfix for identical products.

Top Bottom