A Queue moan thread !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
That must be handy when you want to be first in the queue for the cycling deals.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Two problems there....
I don't condone the job stealing technology and there is ALWAYS alcohol :laugh:
Tried to buy 8 bottles of Eagle Brewery banana bread beer at the self scan till in Asda this morning.... It didn't go well :blush:

I console myself, on the job front, that because we always have alcohol in the trolley, an assistant has to be summoned to verify our age. Since we are aged 72 and 73 years, that not only gives him/her a job, but, gives us a little smile, ;)

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I haven't queued anywhere. Click and collect for household stuff and get groceries delivered once a week. Milkie brings fresh milk every day.
They've screwed up click and collect here. Two supermarkets offer it. One has no slots any time I looked, the other makes you queue to collect. And then there's all the substitutions and omissions, some of which are bonkers, some of which provoke another shopping trip sooner... No, it's better just to pick a quiet time and visit shops yourself.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
They've screwed up click and collect here. Two supermarkets offer it. One has no slots any time I looked, the other makes you queue to collect. And then there's all the substitutions and omissions, some of which are bonkers, some of which provoke another shopping trip sooner... No, it's better just to pick a quiet time and visit shops yourself.

It's madness click and collect is offered for ordinary shopping at some supermarkets at the moment.

It's resource hungry and has a large impact on online shopping and availability in store.

Drago

Legendary Member
But then doesn't the store have a large impact on click and collect? Some people in particularly vulnerable categories really don't want to be going into the store.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's resource hungry and has a large impact on online shopping and availability in store.
It shouldn't be any of that. With people submitting orders almost a week ahead that's plenty of time to divert some ambient goods from deliveries to collection trays instead of store shelves, but it does appear that the current operations are farked and involve store workers picking most of most orders back off the shelves.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The recycling centre queues are a pain. They need better organisation

In pre Covid days, there was room for about 6 cars to haphazardly park and unload. The employees helped with the unloading which speeded things up

Now there are three bays and the employees just watch. The problem occurs when people turn up with a van full of garage clearance. I went a few days ago and there were two like this. So effectively there is only one fast moving bay. Result...painful queues

I presume the demand for the recycling centre will reduce in the future as we all finish our various projects. But they really should redesign the bay system to get back towards the original 6 car capacity

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
But then doesn't the store have a large impact on click and collect? Some people in particularly vulnerable categories really don't want to be going into the store.

They don't want to be going in store. There are a number of options that are far from perfect that are better alternatives. I go in store once a week for two that are shielding. If I snuff it or am incapacitated they'll be living off angel delight in the council's protect and survive type parcels. The helpers line are quite persistent around here. Sadly the last few days there have been documented cases of people in alone who have died. The priority should be deliveries over grocery click and collect.

Click and collect at one supermarket literally means one delivery van is out of action for deliveries. I think to be fair the supermarkets probably looked at the insane delivery increases and extrapolated and thought if that happens to click and collect it may be worth running.

vickster

Legendary Member
The recycling centre queues are a pain. They need better organisation

In pre Covid days, there was room for about 6 cars to haphazardly park and unload. The employees helped with the unloading which speeded things up

Now there are three bays and the employees just watch. The problem occurs when people turn up with a van full of garage clearance. I went a few days ago and there were two like this. So effectively there is only one fast moving bay. Result...painful queues

I presume the demand for the recycling centre will reduce in the future as we all finish our various projects. But they really should redesign the bay system to get back towards the original 6 car capacity
Ours is appointment only for very limited list of things - garden and small electricals I think - unfortunately, can't get an appointment for love nor money so the garden waste continues to mummify in the garden! Just looked, can book 7 days in advance and of course every slot is fully booked. I assume the new slots go online at some point in the morning for one day, no chance of getting if actually have other things to do than try to book a tip slot!

Last edited:

lane

Veteran
Not been in a que yet for the shops. It is either online, click and collect, local delivery from veg company or bread picked up from the pub. Only shops I will go in are small ones on a bike ride where there is no need to Que. I do miss the freedom to just pop to the shops when I want along with many other things at the moment. Can't see it changing anytime soon. Hopefully it's not for ever.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I console myself, on the job front, that because we always have alcohol in the trolley, an assistant has to be summoned to verify our age. Since we are aged 72 and 73 years, that not only gives him/her a job, but, gives us a little smile, ;)
I am also 73 and often complain that the till operator hasn't challenged me.
The nearest I got was 2 weeks ago when I was going for the 0730 'over 70s' slot....the woman in charge of the queue didn't believe I was 70^_^. Fortunately I had my driving licence

lane

Veteran

It does have it's disadvantages for sure. I have now found I can get a slot if I book about 5 days ahead - substitutes I am happy to live with and mostly they are OK and better than nothing. Got 5 substitutes on my click and collect today and none are a particular problem. I am going to the supermarket a lot less often so can't see it being a bad thing for the environment.

Edit - whenever I go to click and collect there is a bloody long Que in the car park and I am glad not to be part of it.

Top Bottom