A Queue moan thread !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
They've screwed up click and collect here. Two supermarkets offer it. One has no slots any time I looked, the other makes you queue to collect. And then there's all the substitutions and omissions, some of which are bonkers, some of which provoke another shopping trip sooner... No, it's better just to pick a quiet time and visit shops yourself.
Like you order a fresh chicken and they give you chicken flavour crisps.....or vice versa.

Reactions: mjr

lane

Veteran
They don't want to be going in store. There are a number of options that are far from perfect that are better alternatives. I go in store once a week for two that are shielding. If I snuff it or am incapacitated they'll be living off angel delight in the council's protect and survive type parcels. The helpers line are quite persistent around here. Sadly the last few days there have been documented cases of people in alone who have died. The priority should be deliveries over grocery click and collect.

Click and collect at one supermarket literally means one delivery van is out of action for deliveries. I think to be fair the supermarkets probably looked at the insane delivery increases and extrapolated and thought if that happens to click and collect it may be worth running.

Why does click and collect mean one delivery van is out of operation?

lane

Veteran
Like you order a fresh chicken and they give you chicken flavour crisps.....or vice versa.

No. On my click and collect this morning a different brand of olive oil or different brand of chocolate biscuit. Luckily I am not too fussy to be a problem. probably what I would have picked up in the shop.

lane

Veteran
My parents are shielding and are on some priority list for supermarket delivery so never have had a problem getting food. They were offered some food parcels but don't need them.

lane

Veteran
Because it is parked in the car park at the front of store, radio on, book reading and waiting for the odd customer booking slot!

What? Not where I go. They have a dedicated click and collect area and staffing - bring the goods out of a door at the rear of the shop on a trolley. I then pop them in the car. Always other cars getting shopping at the same time. Seems an efficient system with quick turn around. Makes the queues shorted for other people. Does not impact the delivery slots in any way.

lane

Veteran
With veg delivery and bread from the pub I have been getting away with going every three weeks.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Milkman.....WoW.....not seen one of those rare creature for years.
I hadn't either until yesterday when there was a knock at my door. When I opened it I found a young man with a very strong Scottish (Glaswegian?) accent standing there. I struggled to catch what he was saying until he pointed at the XYZ Dairy logo on his shirt, then I realised that he was talking about starting a new milk round in the area. I thanked him but said I prefer to go out to buy it myself...

"Ok, nae worries, pal"!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
What? Not where I go. They have a dedicated click and collect area and staffing - bring the goods out of a door at the rear of the shop on a trolley. I then pop them in the car. Always other cars getting shopping at the same time. Seems an efficient system with quick turn around. Makes the queues shorted for other people. Does not impact the delivery slots in any way.

What's all this what. This is reality.

Dedicated area is van drives around to an area marked out. Van out of action for half a day.

It's an extremely inefficient system why I am flagging up how ludicrous it is having it run in the present circumstances when on-line is very strained.

The system you are describing which is different probably isn't as efficient as you think it is as it still involves a human walking around a shop laboriously picking things. By efficient you mean it's good for you or inspires confidence.

During covid-19 these are difficult choices.

lane

Veteran
What's all this what. This is reality.

Dedicated area is van drives around to an area marked out. Van out of action for half a day.

It's an extremely inefficient system why I am flagging up how ludicrous it is having it run in the present circumstances when on-line is very strained.

The system you are describing which is different probably isn't as efficient as you think it is as it still involves a human walking around a shop laboriously picking things. By efficient you mean it's good for you or inspires confidence.

During covid-19 these are difficult choices.

Yes convenient for me for sure. Efficient in terms of turn around for pick ups. It does mean someone else has to collect the shopping but the supermarket must be happy to pay for this cost - only provided you meet the minimum order. Reduced queues for others. I guess provides paid employment for someone to collect the shopping. They had click and collect before the virus. If they can only have so many in the shop at a time I guess it is a way of increasing capacity.

My "What" comment was incredulity at the system you were describing which bears no resemblance to the system I am using.

You have to have one of these customer cards or whatever they are called to do this?
Yes, you register at Tesco's SAYS with your Clubcard, for example. The first couple of times you then go to pay, they do a sampling check of items in your bags to make sure they're scanned, then after that you can fly solo.

As an aside, my daughter and I established that the scanner's range is 26 inches (using a tape measure from the hardware aisle) and that it is possible to play in-store Clay Bag-of-Salad Shooting with one person lobbing the bags and the other wielding the scanner ^_^

lane

Veteran
Just been to click and collect. No queues today for going in store - maybe the weather is putting people off. Three other cars collecting at the same time as me and at least one waiting. Total time about 5 or 10 minutes start to finish. Plus a short drive. Enough for three weeks.

potsy

Rambler
The recycling centre queues are a pain. They need better organisation

In pre Covid days, there was room for about 6 cars to haphazardly park and unload. The employees helped with the unloading which speeded things up

Now there are three bays and the employees just watch. The problem occurs when people turn up with a van full of garage clearance. I went a few days ago and there were two like this. So effectively there is only one fast moving bay. Result...painful queues

I presume the demand for the recycling centre will reduce in the future as we all finish our various projects. But they really should redesign the bay system to get back towards the original 6 car capacity
Just back from my 3rd tip run of the day, no queues, all bays now open so room for a dozen or so cars (no more than 4 or 5 there today on all 3 trips)
Just a few large bulky items, electrical goods and carpet? not being accepted.

2 sheds now clear and ready for re-filling with junk ^_^

Top Bottom