A rant about Evans Cycles...just

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've always thought that it's a shame he got his hands on the once great Karrimor brand, now I wouldn't go near it.
in truth karrimor had died/was no more in any meaningful sense by the time he got it. Before that it was i think owned by a bunch of south african fundsters who persisted in slapping union jacks on everything.
If you find the excellent karrimor pertex top I bought from their factory shop then lost on a road somewhere, do let me know.

Last edited:
Tbh Karrimor had lost it's way long before the South Africans got hold of it. Previous owners appeared to be milking it to fund retirement plans. SA guys tried to restore it but failed for a variety of reasons.
Now it is just another of the many pile it high, sell it cheap outdoor brands. And Ashley doesn't help.

OP
OP
GreenwichSi

GreenwichSi

Regular
My hopes were raised slightly yesterday when I saw that my review had received a reply from Evans but they were dashed again when it was clear that it was just an automated reply asking me to email their customer service team and when I did THAT, I got another automated reply that suggested I look on their website for answers to my questions.

On the plus side, as it's through the cycle to work scheme, HR at work have weighed in and made a complaint to them as well. Not that I expect it to do much but it's nice to know that people are on my side!

Tom B

Guru
First of all, after buying my bike online, I received no communication about when it was to be delivered. .....

The entirety of Saturday was spent trying to contact Evans' customer service via facebook but I got no response.

I got a response on Sunday ....

Going back to the OP...
Why did you choose to try to contact them by faceache?

Faceache is a social media platform that is good for many things, not necessarily for things like this.

I work for an organisation that has a social media presence. To be honest it's an absolute pain in the ar$e we try to use it to tell people what were upto and about things that may affect them. But it's just a pit of negativity, whatever you do people will moan at you for doing it, not soon it, doing it to late, doing it too soon, doing it the wrong way, doing it the right way but not standing on our heads while doing it. Yada yada. People then start banging on about other unrelated stuff that is nothing to do with us most of the time. It's just the septic tank of corporate Comms. Despite copious warnings that it isn't monitored daily people still send us urgent messages and then moan when we don't respond within 5mins.

We, like many corporate users use a Facebook client to handle our access and posts, this will delete posts with naughty words and hide posts it sees as hate or unsuitable for a family audience. It also seems to have a problem with Scunthorpe. Many of these posts or messages will never be seen by our staff.

Anyway, only a small proportion of staff are trained to use the system and then only a few of them get involved due to it being seen as a shortcut to the dole queue. My personal view is we shouldn't do it and just have a webpage at the most.

What usually happens is one of the corporate Comms folk sees a post or message a day or two later sends it on to the right department (sometimes) who then pass it on to a member of staff to action, who then add it to their workflow and get around to it several days later.

Whereas if you'd phone our enquiry like, you might have had a wait, but you'd get through to someone who could likely help or give you some pointers right away.

Organisations like SD and EC are not ma and pa operations where the person operating the SM is the same person posting the packages.

Anyway.

I'd expect nothing less from SD and EC they're on my blacklist too.

Wouldn't get this sort of thing at an LBS, but that service and ability to go down to them and see what is happening comes at a cost, as does a quality fully staffed C/S dept. A cost we in general don't wish to meet and hence why we buy from the box shifters who operate on skinny skinny margins.

RoMeR

Über Member
I realise that Karrimor was already suffering with lower quality but I think that Ashley gave it a new low. I went into SD to look at their Merino wool base layers a couple of years ago and was shocked by the quality, I could see through it and it was already out of shape.

OP
OP
GreenwichSi

GreenwichSi

Regular
Going back to the OP...
Why did you choose to try to contact them by faceache?

Faceache is a social media platform that is good for many things, not necessarily for things like this.

The only options to contact them (and SD) are by FB, Twitter and email. FB was the only one I got a reply on and, to be fair, once the initial wait for a response was over it's not *too* bad in terms of getting a response. It's far from ideal, however, I would much prefer to phone and talk/rant/scream at them.

classic33

Leg End Member
The only options to contact them (and SD) are by FB, Twitter and email. FB was the only one I got a reply on and, to be fair, once the initial wait for a response was over it's not *too* bad in terms of getting a response. It's far from ideal, however, I would much prefer to phone and talk/rant/scream at them.
Have you tried phoning them on 01293 574900.

OP
OP
GreenwichSi

GreenwichSi

Regular
Have you tried phoning them on 01293 574900.
Oh yes, I dug that number up, called it and got "This person's phone is unavailable".

Latest update is that after they asked me to give them a "few days" to find the bike and not updated me, I've politely enquired as to whether two was enough. I mean, I'm assuming their warehouse isn't the same size as the one seen at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark but you never know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GreenwichSi

GreenwichSi

Regular
Presumably the bike isn’t available in any of their London stores?
I did enquire about just being able to pick one up a from a store a few days back but they insisted it isn't possible. Quite why this is the case, they didn't say. I'm not sure why, I've ordered A bike, it doesn't have to be THAT bike that they've sent to the warehouse, right? Especially if they've had it stolen.

I guess that IF they say they've lost it then I can say I'll go pick a replacement up from whichever shop has one as I'm sure they have them in stock.

As for the visa chargeback, I'm doing this via the old cycletowork scheme so I'm a bit stymied with that.

Top Bottom