A rant about Evans Cycles...just

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bought my bike from them 5years ago and the service was great and so is the bike. The last time I was in my local store, about a year ago, it just seemed different. Is this the Mike Ashley effect.

I went to Evans only 2 times, maybe 3: the first time, 3 years ago and it felt like a normal bike shop, staff was helpful and gave me a lot of good advice. I went there again a few months ago and it couldn't have been more different, the staff was apathetic, half assed replies to my questions and actually suggested I don't buy anything there but go to local bike shops instead. I was surprised, then a couple of days later I read the news about stores closing down and jobs getting cut and it all made sense.

On the other hand, I made 2 online orders from evans within the last 6 months and had no problems whatsoever.

dodgy

I still have one of the 'good' Karrimor rucksacks from the days when Karrimor was admired. Must be 30 years old now, not a stitch wrong on it and it gets used often. Edit to add, also a pair of Karrimor walking boots, same age and still fine, though I only use them about a dozen times a year on hill walks.

icowden

Veteran
I did enquire about just being able to pick one up a from a store a few days back but they insisted it isn't possible. Quite why this is the case, they didn't say. I'm not sure why, I've ordered A bike, it doesn't have to be THAT bike that they've sent to the warehouse, right? Especially if they've had it stolen.
As for the visa chargeback, I'm doing this via the old cycletowork scheme so I'm a bit stymied with that.

So, you have purchased a bike on the CycleToWork scheme. That means your employer has paid for the bike and you are hiring the bike from your employer. I would recommend sending a formal letter to head office, stating the facts quite plainly. Inform them that if you do not receive the bike within 7 working days, you will advise your employer to take legal action to reclaim the money.

Alternatively if you are on good terms with someone senior at your company, get them to send the letter. After all they have agreed to hire you a bike and no bike has been delivered.

mikeIow

Guru
Technically, if they cannot supply it: you *can* get the money back.
I had that option last year. Also with Evans. In the end I picked in they did have in stock (which then went out of stock - I had the only one, perhaps!), but the option was always there to say “you’ve been unable to get me the bike, this is cancelled, refund the monies paid”

Our company moved away from using Evans this year…..

OP
OP
GreenwichSi

GreenwichSi

Regular
HR did threaten them with legal action as noone at Evans responded to their emails!

But...progress! Evans have agreed to send me a new bike as they failed to locate the original one. They're also giving me a £10 voucher. A whole ten pounds! They promised to make sure they informed me of the delivery date/time as well. We'll see if that pans out.

si_c

Guru
I feel sorry for the Evans staff at my two local stores, the Liverpool store had good, knowledgeable staff, sadly now closed. The Chester store had equally friendly staff, but the selection was limited being a smaller footprint. I've not been in since Ashley took over, as I used to order online and collect, but the website is now abysmal and they want to charge you £5 to collect from store, where before you could check to see what they had in stock and just collect.

Truly terrible.

• Sad
Reactions: C R
I feel sorry for the Evans staff at my two local stores, the Liverpool store had good, knowledgeable staff, sadly now closed
Agreed. Liverpool store was quite good.

It closed on Saturday March 21st last year. MA was doing his usual thing and demanding that landlords slashed his rent. They wouldn't play ball so he threw his toys out of the pram.

Monday March 23rd saw lockdown begin and bike shops couldn't keep up with demand. I wonder what MA thought about that one?

si_c

Guru
Agreed. Liverpool store was quite good.

It closed on Saturday March 21st last year. MA was doing his usual thing and demanding that landlords slashed his rent. They wouldn't play ball so he threw his toys out of the pram.

Monday March 23rd saw lockdown begin and bike shops couldn't keep up with demand. I wonder what MA thought about that one?

Probably quite happy. Meant he could sell stuff through the website instead and make an extra £5 on delivery whilst fuloughing all his retail staff and slashing staffing costs.

vickster

Legendary Member
Finally! FINALLY the bike has arrived..accompanied by a chorus from the heavenly host, the delivery driver, accompanied by many woodland creatures like in a Disney film delivered it to me...

Shame it's pissing it down.
You can still ride in the rain ;) Neither you nor the bike will melt like Olaf on a hot summers days

carpiste

Guru
I bought a Scott hybrid about 9/10 years ago and the service was fantastic. I still have the bike and love it!
I recently bought a Raleigh E-bike and apart from a lackof stock (covid) which limited choice I thought the staff were great. I took the bike back for its 6 week service just a few days ago and again it couldn`t have been easier!
The only issue I had was that I couldn`t get through to book it in by phone! Tried for 3 days to no effect.
I`ve never bought a bike online, or for that matter anything that costs over a couple of hundred pounds! I`m old school I guess. I want to sit on or try the thing out first!
So apart from being unable to make contact by phone the only real issue with Evans seems to be lack of stock, which is the same for every outlet as far as I can tell.

simongt

Guru
The main advantage of big firms like Evans is that they tend to have oodles of stock on display. :hyper:My personal experience of big firms is that they lack the personal touch and flexibility that keeps the punters happy. :whistle: Thus I tend to stick to my LBS, who being a third generation family owned & run business, looks after their customers. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom