A return to rim brakes and surprised how poor they are

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Swapped over rims today and added the new pads. On initial feel they seem to have instantaneous stopping power (not ridden yet) so hopefully it was just a poor set up previously, having said that the pads i took off were in fact Swissstop, just branded as SRAM.

View attachment 579140

Weekend weather looks crap but hopefully we get out and dodge the snow.

They have been fitted the wrong way around

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
It had just had a full respray and strip down ! :laugh:

That's just cheating :laugh: but in a nice way:okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Are these rim brakes still dragging on but the thread refuses to stop?

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
So some quick feedback after a bit of a test run this morning. Keeping in mind these are new pads and new rims so i expect a bit of bedding in. Much better than the previous set up once they settled and wore in so there were fully flat on the braking surface face, you can still feel some compression (i assume cables and pads) but very minimal and overall performed well. I expect them to improve over the next ride or 2. Still not as instant as the discs i've been used to much a marked improvement vs previous experience:okay:

Johnno260

Veteran
I find my rim 105 R7000 to stop me nicely if needs be, and that bikes only used in the dry.

My Ribble with campag rim brakes in the wet stops really well.

Disc brakes are ok, my Spyres were really good, but both BB type brakes I had were just awful I hated them and they wailed like a banshee with the slightest piece of dirt.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Fair dos :laugh: you got me!
still be a minority though and rarer than hens teeth on high end road bikes, which was what I was discussing at the time
both my Ebikes are hydraulic disc brakes and QR skewers.......they arent that rare

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom