A return to rim brakes and surprised how poor they are

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i wonder if my Custom Built titanium disc would be classed as a low end frame by the snobs, cause it had QR dropouts and not through axles.......or are they just trolling again rather than adding anything to threads existence and usefulness

si_c

Guru
i wonder if my Custom Built titanium disc would be classed as a low end frame by the snobs, cause it had QR dropouts and not through axles.......or are they just trolling again rather than adding anything to threads existence and usefulness
Both of the disc braked road bikes I've had have been QR, including the current Racelight, I've had no problems with the QR, certainly easier to get the wheel on and off than a through axle. Aside from consistent rotor alignment at the front I can't see any advantages to the latter.

Reactions: C R

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Ah bless a double bite.^_^

Joking aside, whilst there has been period when QR dropouts and disc brakes was standard, I thought (and i've yet to see much evidence to the contrary) that the vast majority of new frames being sold now for Disc brakes are Thru Axles (although not a universal standard of thru axles annoyingly, but that's big bike brands for you)

My gravel bike has disc brakes & QR dropouts, and its a relatively low end aluminium jobby from Pinnacle.:whistle: but then it is from "that" period before TA's were dreamt up (as does my rarely ridden old MTB for that matter)

@Ming - its very difficult to find a new road bike frame with calliper mounts at all, be that high end or bog standard. I'm glad I've got one that should last me many years to come.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
I've never used direct mount brakes, but I'd be interested to hear how they compare to traditional calipers.

Slightly better than regular calipers - the arms pivot about fixed points rather than floating which means they feel as though they bite quicker and you have slightly more control over how much of your lever pull translates into braking activity. They're much closer to disc brakes in how they perform than my experience with centre mounted dual pivots, although this is on good quality alloy rims I wouldn't want to comment on carbon rim braking performance.

Generally I'm quite pleased and don't feel I'm losing much vs my hydraulic disc braked bike except in the wettest conditions. Both bikes run full Shimano R7000 groupsets for reference.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The splosh of your rim braked wheels through a mud filled puddle ..the scuffing scrubbing sound of a grinding paste being formed as the levers are squeezed always makes me wince

I just treat that as an incentive to make minimal use of the brakes and rely on anticipation and reading the road conditions ahead. If you don't ride in a fast/aggressive manner it's perfectly possible to go miles and hardly touch the brakes apart from descents and finally coming to a complete halt at traffic lights. Most of the time I can keep my speed within safe limits for the conditions merely by freewheeling or sitting more upright to increase the aerodynamic drag. My brake pads last absolutely ages.

jowwy

I guess if it was custom, you had the choice to go as cheap as you like!
Custom 7yrs ago was quick release only as that was the standard back then, doesnt make it cheap and thru axles on forks or rear triangle isnt more expensive. What would be expensive is replacing 4 Wheelsets from QR to thru axle.........i’d prefer not to waste money replacing wheelsets for absolute zero gain, other than lowering my bank balance.

There really are some snobs cropping up on this thread indeed or should i say Trolls.....maybe rather than fishing for bites from members, maybe posters could add something to the thread instead.

Last edited:

jowwy

Im surprised anybody makes threads or posts these days, with the amount of trolls that have invaded CC........

Top Bottom