A return to rim brakes and surprised how poor they are

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Bought a bike fitted with Campag deltas: what is this thing you call “stopping “

For some reason all Campag calipers seem to have special powers, both my Campag equipped bikes seem to stop on a sixpence

houblon

Bought a bike fitted with Campag deltas: what is this thing you call “stopping “

It's what other cyclists do so they can admire their beauty.

Regarding quick release and discs, maybe not such an issue with road bikes but there were stories of hard braking on mountain bikes (where of course discs are entirely appropriate) pushing the front wheel out. I don't think you can buy an mtb fork with QR nowadays.

Last edited:

Johnno260

Veteran
For some reason all Campag calipers seem to have special powers, both my Campag equipped bikes seem to stop on a sixpence

Same Campag Veloce on my Ribble used mainly in the wet it’s less a question on stopping or if I can hang on! haha

Also people saying about price, surely that’s subjective as what I spent on my Merida to me was a lot, to others it would be budget probably.

si_c

Guru
It's what other cyclists do so they can admire their beauty.

Regarding quick release and discs, maybe not such an issue with road bikes but there were stories of hard braking on mountain bikes (where of course discs are entirely appropriate) pushing the front wheel out. I don't think you can buy an mtb fork with QR nowadays.
I doubt that was QR failure, more user error. QRs are more than capable of putting sufficient clamping force laterally to keep the wheel in place, if you don't put the wheel in properly, there is no QR which could fix that.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Slightly better than regular calipers - the arms pivot about fixed points rather than floating which means they feel as though they bite quicker and you have slightly more control over how much of your lever pull translates into braking activity. They're much closer to disc brakes in how they perform than my experience with centre mounted dual pivots, although this is on good quality alloy rims I wouldn't want to comment on carbon rim braking performance.

Generally I'm quite pleased and don't feel I'm losing much vs my hydraulic disc braked bike except in the wettest conditions. Both bikes run full Shimano R7000 groupsets for reference.
Another advantage of direct mounts must that you don't knock the brake out of line when removing and replacing a wheel.

si_c

Guru
Another advantage of direct mounts must that you don't knock the brake out of line when removing and replacing a wheel.
Nope, that's true, hadn't thought of that, but you could argue that's a failure of centre mounted calipers rather than an advantage of direct mount. Users of cantilevers rarely complain of such issues.

houblon

I doubt that was QR failure, more user error. QRs are more than capable of putting sufficient clamping force laterally to keep the wheel in place, if you don't put the wheel in properly, there is no QR which could fix that.

Maybe. I don't know anyone it actually happened to but a fast, heavy bike on rough ground with powerful brake pushing the axle in exactly the right direction...it only takes a small amount of user error.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
managed to give the brakes a better test yesterday evening on a reasonable descent, road surface was wet for the most part so neededto keep my speed low, hence braking most of the way.Have to say they worked very well and every bit as good as the discs, once the rims dried out.

Plenty of hairpins to slow down for😬

Top Bottom