A right pain in the right knee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
On my Saturday right my right knee started to tighten after about 15 mile, on a section which is a gradual climb - nothing steep as this is Nothants ! By 20 miles I had a sharp stabbing pain in my knee and I was unable to peddle with that foot - I managed to peddle with just my left foot to a cafe stop and kept the right foot unclipped., which made the pain stop. My knee was also ok to walk on at the stop. I rested for around 20 mins and then very gingerly cycled the remaining 10 miles home. My knee was fine as long as I did not put any real strain through it - so a cruise at 3/4 pace on a nice high cog. It was definitely strain rather than cadence that was the problem.

I am going to book an appointment at the physio, but I am interested to hear if any one else has had a similar experience. The bike is less than 2 months old and up to know has been very comfortable with no indication of an issue with the fit.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Where is the pain? Front? Behind? Side? Your clue is in the new bike and new position. What about the pedals? Are they new? Clip-in? Flat?

Ibuprofen gel rubbed on twice a day is miraculous for aches and pains and the massage releases endorphines, which help relieve pain.

OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
The pain seemed to be from the side. The pedals are SPDs, transferred from my old bike.

No pain know, even after spending yesterday morning chasing around coaching my U16 rugby team.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If the pedals are even slightly closer together or further apart than on the previous bike the change in angle of your foot and hence even a small twisting moment on your knee joint can cause this kind of pain. Check that when clipped in, your foot hasn't rotated to the maximum limit allowed by the float of the cleat, placing a small twisting force on it. If it has, loosen the two bolts and move the cleat by a degree or two so as to allow the foot to float freely.

Top Bottom