A Safety Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

decca234uk

I've got a quick question for you. I know that safe cycling is dependant on a lot of factors all coming together and the question I'm about to ask may seem pointless in isolation, nevertheless I'm going to ask it anyway. The question is; what in your opinion is the single most important thing you can do to ensure your safety on the road?

I'll kick it off by saying that in my opinion it's assuming you haven't been seen by drivers and taking action to be seen.

I'd be interested in any other ideas you may have.

nasserblue

Make sure you maintain your bike properly... In fact I could do with list of things I should be checking and how often...

mark i

I would suggest that the most important thing is ensuring that you are visible. We spend most of our time being overtaken. Visibility would rate as quite important.
Mark

MartinC

Über Member
It's tempting to be facetious and say something like 'keeping your balance' but it's an intelligent question. There isn't a single thing - there are many things. As suggested - everything in Cyclecraft.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Give way to anything (if in doubt) that is larger, heavier and harder than you.
Playing with fire results in burnt fingers.

Midnight

I would say Defensive cycling. In simple terms, ride assertively, and be ready for others mistakes. Don't assume that a vehicle will always give way even if you have right of way. It's not just a matter of how good a cyclist you are, it's also a matter of the behaviour of other road-users around you.

Oh, and always make sure you've got good brakes!! :tongue:

biking_fox

Guru
Be clearly seen - this involves, lights, clothing and cycling behavior. Extremely rare that any driver will deliberately knock you off, but once you've mastered the physical basics of keeping yourself upright on the road the next biggest hazard comes from drivers not noticing you properly.

Top Bottom