A Safety Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Assertivness

jimboalee

If you was to weigh it all up and write an FMEA and a risk assessment for 'Man on bicycle on public road', it would result in the recommendation it is safer not to ride a bike on the road. Travel by motorcar with numerous airbags.

Some companies, including the one who employ me, have banned the use of bicycles within the security boundary.

That said, the single most important thing to remember when riding a bicycle on the road is....

NEVER NEVER show any sign of fear. If you do, they'll attack you.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland

Read Cyclecraft.

I've never actually read it, although it sounds like a good peice of work and I don't think its been read by the majority of people either, so I wouldn't classify it as the most important thing, otherwise I'd stop cycling. Visibility would be the most important thing to me, make sure you can be seen/ see. Hand in hand with that positioning make sure you are in a position to be seen/ see.

I think I'll get a copy to reference in my dissertation though ;)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Understand what it is like to NOT be the guy on the bike. that way you will get an insight into how other road users may act which will allow you to anticipate danger more efficiently. In otehr words get some non-cycling experience of the road as well.

I've never actually read it, although it sounds like a good peice of work and I don't think its been read by the majority of people either, so I wouldn't classify it as the most important thing, otherwise I'd stop cycling.

Ah, but the beauty of Cyclecraft is it contains all of the things that are important. I'm sure you know most of them, but there are plenty of cyclists who don't.

I certainly wouldn't suggest that Cyclecraft is the absolute definitive guide to cycle safety, but it's a damn good stab at it.

Top Bottom