A scam that's not a scam.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
A few days ago my M.I.L. gets a letter from an IFA offering his services that also made reference/alluded to her account at a certain bank, I had a look at it and said, 'scam, take it into your bank.'

This afternoon she comes round after going to the bank and explains all, apparently it's an ex-branch manager who's now an IFA and is contacting lots of his ex customers.

As far as I see it though he's using confidential bank information from his time of employment to do this and at the very least deserves a stiff boot in the knackers for doing so.

Am I right, is he wrong for doing this?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Very wrong as he's got customer details which he shouldn't have.

Why is he an ex-employee? not from data misuse issues surely 😂
AND if he is ignoring the law by misusing data then he is capable of anything.
Report him, and the bank employees who fobbed you off with "oh he used to work here (it's fine)" they should have said "I'll report it to head office".

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
After speaking to her a bit more I found out that the conversation with the bank staff went like this -

Don't you recognise the name, he used to be the manager here?

No I didn't.

And how did you feel when you got the letter?

Worried because I thought someone was trying to con me.

Well I'll take a copy of it as we've already had quite a few more and it's being logged as a complaint, you should be receiving a letter of apology from the bank in the next few days.

My suggestion that we arrange a meeting between him, me, and her two big sons was unfortunately knocked back. 😂

After speaking to her a bit more I found out that the conversation with the bank staff went like this -

Don't you recognise the name, he used to be the manager here?

No I didn't.

And how did you feel when you got the letter?

Worried because I thought someone was trying to con me.

Well I'll take a copy of it as we've already had quite a few more and it's being logged as a complaint, you should be receiving a letter of apology from the bank in the next few days.

My suggestion that we arrange a meeting between him, me, and her two big sons was unfortunately knocked back. 😂

Sounds like a euphemism.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Sounds like a euphemism.

hqdefault.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

Is your M.i.L on the electoral roll? If she is I doubt very much the ICO will do anything unless you can prove that the bank was negligent in allowing the ex-employee from taking customer details with him, good luck with that one. Again the IFA/FCA/FSO or whatever they are called this year won't be interested unless you ask him to stop contacting her & he continues to do so.

Top Bottom