A scam that's not a scam.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is your M.i.L on the electoral roll? If she is I doubt very much the ICO will do anything unless you can prove that the bank was negligent in allowing the ex-employee from taking customer details with him, good luck with that one. Again the IFA/FCA/FSO or whatever they are called this year won't be interested unless you ask him to stop contacting her & he continues to do so.
The fact that she’s on the electoral roll doesn’t identify where she banks. He’s using information from his previous employment in a questionable manner.

Report him and certainly not trust him would be my take.

D

Deleted member 26715

Is it possible he has some sort of agency or franchise and the bank are providing him with 'leads'?

A bank bending the rules & allowing personal data to be used for financial gain, I doubt that very much they are such bastions of propriety

Alex321

Veteran
Is it possible he has some sort of agency or franchise and the bank are providing him with 'leads'?

If so, then they would also be breaking the law unless their DPA registration (and the T&C of their contract with you) explicitly states that they may share information for such purposes.

And while I wouldn't put it past most banks to do that sort of thing if they thought they could get away with it, they know how unlikely it is that they would get away with it for long, in today's climate.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I suggest that your bank has a word with themselves and that you report both parties to to the Data Protection Commissioner. it sounds like they're both in breach of the Data Protection Act 2018 in relation to security and accountability - The IFA for taking personal information from his former employer, and the bank for taking no steps to prevent it (and having a system where it can be harvested in this way).

Alex321

Veteran
I suggest that your bank has a word with themselves and that you report both parties to to the Data Protection Commissioner. it sounds like they're both in breach of the Data Protection Act 2018 in relation to security and accountability - The IFA for taking personal information from his former employer, and the bank for taking no steps to prevent it (and having a system where it can be harvested in this way).

It isn't impossible that the IFA just memorised a number of customer details before he left (or even wrote them down on a piece of paper).

If he had legitimate access to that data while an employee, it is very hard to completely prevent him taking enough detail to be useful, before he handed in his notice (or was given it if he was fired).

Badger_Boom

Über Member
It isn't impossible that the IFA just memorised a number of customer details before he left (or even wrote them down on a piece of paper).

If he had legitimate access to that data while an employee, it is very hard to completely prevent him taking enough detail to be useful, before he handed in his notice (or was given it if he was fired).

It’s still a breach of the regulations regardless of how he took the data with him. I’m not sure how DPA could deal with Mr Memory though.

Alex321

Veteran
It’s still a breach of the regulations regardless of how he took the data with him. I’m not sure how DPA could deal with Mr Memory though.

It is certainly a breach of the regulations on his part, not sure it would be on the part of the bank, since it would be pretty well completely impossible to prevent people like him.

Top Bottom