A sickening sight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
such barbarity is a fact of life in other countries, and we as a society in the UK and at influential levels choose not to see, hear and look so we can sleep easy doing nothing. I do what little I can in terms of fundraising and rescuing but it'll never be enough even with a significant lottrery win. We continue appeasing our consciences with complete ignorance and things will never change until en masse we boycott e.g. the Spanish tourist industry in protest at the way their farming community savage and murder the living tools of their trade at the end of each hunting season, they way the people over there fighting for the animals and working to rescue them, patch up those that arent too far mutilated or found too late can be bullied, harassed, taunted etc at a civic level; officialdom from local councils up the the highest reaches of government turning a blind eye or mouthing platitiudes whilst doing nothing. We're all appalled when it happens with one of ours but blissfully ignorant otherwise.

<DEVIL'S ADVOCATE> What makes the UK the occupier of the moral high ground when it comes to animal welfare? Isn't money better spent on humanitarian aid rather than animal welfare issues. </DEVILS ADVOCATE>

Last edited:

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Have you listened to yourself?

"I didn't watch the video." - Oh really?

"I didn't post it with the intention of tempting someone else to watch it." - So why post it at all?

"It's thrust in your face" - yes by you!

I still question who benefits from your posting: furthering the cause animal welfare or your self referencing sense of moral outrage?

Why not fester in silence?

Why so hard on the OP?

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
although i may wish physical harm to the cats that frequently p*ss in my garden and leave helpful little mounds of crap everywhere i honestly can't abide by animal cruelty, in high school a friend of mine punched a cat in the face whilst we were walking to school.
later on that day he learned what it was like to be on the receiving end of punches.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Have you listened to yourself?

"I didn't watch the video." - Oh really?

"I didn't post it with the intention of tempting someone else to watch it." - So why post it at all?

"It's thrust in your face" - yes by you!

I still question who benefits from your posting: furthering the cause animal welfare or your self referencing sense of moral outrage?

Why not fester in silence?

Never anything constructive to say have you! it's either being sarcastic about someone else's threads/posts or talking about pies!:tired: Why don't YOU fester in silence eh?!

buggi

Bird Saviour
I don't think this sort of stuff gets shared enough. We're so concerned about saving people’s feelings that animals are subjected to cruelty beyond any possible human reason or excuse on a daily basis. It’s about time we face up to what the human race is not only capable of but actually doing it, and start to address it. Ignorance may be bliss, but it’s not right to bury our heads any longer.
I’ve been reading this site tonight. You don’t have to look at the animal cruelty on it if you can’t face it, but if you want to make a change for the better then this site tells you exactly what labels to look for if you want to eat more ethically.
http://www.ciwf.org.uk/your_food/default.aspx

buggi

Bird Saviour
<DEVIL'S ADVOCATE> What makes the UK the occupier of the moral high ground when it comes to animal welfare? Isn't money better spent on humanitarian aid rather than animal welfare issues. </DEVILS ADVOCATE>
Humanitarian aid?? If this is what being human is then no, this planet and all of its species are clearly better off without us. Despite the first part of this film being hard to watch, the last minute of it gets the message across in a non gory way of just how much we take from other species and how out of order we really are.
http://myscienceacademy.org/2013/08...6-minute-short-film-will-make-you-speechless/

400bhp

Guru
I'm not watching it but I know what it is.

What purpose does this video serve?

It's an isolated incident by a very mixed up individual. It doesn't represent out society. Perhaps watching it actually makes our society that little bit sadder.

Hasn't the perp has been convicted?

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2955872, member: 9609"]But we do, we are one of the great givers when it comes to humanitarian issues.

Gandhi once said "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated". And how true, as a nation we lead the world in caring for both animals and people.

EDIT; and for my own <DEVIL'S ADVOCATE>What the soldier did to the cat was clearly well OTT but was his intentions that bad? If you were out driving in the country and you came across a deer on a very quiet lonely road that had been horrifically injured, lets say its back legs had been severed but it was still alive, do you attempt to put it out of its misery or do you just go "how sad" and leave it to die ? </DEVILS ADVOCATE>[/quote]
[QUOTE 2955868, member: 9609"]I think you were quite right to post it, people should see what is happening; The outrage at such brutal treatment of animals would deter more people from carrying them out, and it would also compel our justice system to hand out sentences of greater deterrent.[/quote]

Thank you. That was my intention,to highlight what happened when evil met innocence,not to give me some sadistic pleasure in showing gross acts of depravity. I've been looking at the Cyclist Down section and naturally the incidents on there are disturbing and upsetting,but i wouldn't accuse the posters of revelling in someone's misfortune. They felt the need to share their distress with others on here,and in highlighting such incidents hopefully make people aware of what happens out there,as opposed to ignoring it.

400bhp

Guru
Thank you. That was my intention,to highlight what happened when 1. evil met innocence,not to give me some sadistic pleasure in showing gross acts of depravity. 2. I've been looking at the Cyclist Down section and naturally the incidents on there are disturbing and upsetting,but i wouldn't accuse the posters of revelling in someone's misfortune. They felt the need to share their distress with others on here,and in highlighting such incidents hopefully make people aware of what happens out there,as opposed to ignoring it.

1. That's far too simplistic. The individual clearly has a lot of problems to do something like that. Doesn't make him evil.

2. Are they posting video's of the incidents? Of course not. Entirely different.

Milzy

Guru

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
good points Vern's devil. As to humanitarian vs animal welfare aid, nowt to do with what I wrote & each to their own conscience, but why just limit the devil to humanitarian or animal welfare though? What's wrong with environmental charities, but if not them the which animals?and if not animals either then which humans do you subdivide your concern to: (not exhaustive lists - just off the top of my head) old, young, with cancer, or dementia, or aids, UK based humans or overseas ones, chronically impoverished: sleeping on streets or in favellas / shanty towns, do you favour refugees and victims of wars over famillially abused and the sexploited? Would you prefer to give to a huge multi national charity that may pay your donation into the chief execs six figure salary or a little local one that pays nothing but won't have nearly the reach or impact of the biggies?
Simplifying to Humanitarian v Animal is the tip of the tip of the iceberg's tip & and what's to say it is either or?

As to the moral high ground, again a bit of a distortion. The UK can and does grossly over produce (think racing greyhounds as the standout e.g's of a controversial animal industry here) that there simply aren't the homes for at the end of their working days - rehoming and rescue organisations and soft sods like me & others on here taking them in as pets notwithstanding, thousands of animals are quietly put to death year on year as there is nowhere for them.
If you want a true <DEVILS ADVOCATE> argument, you could claim that everyone who has registered their disgust on this thread but has not taken into their home or sponsored the costs of rescue accommodation of an animal of any sort is vicariously culpable for this kind of slaughter (but that is a stupid and extremist stance) <DEVILS ADVOCATE>

You may recall there was a national story a couple of years back where it was revealed a guy in the north east was bolt gunning unwanted greyhounds at a tenner a time. Horrible enough but as fast and as humane as it gets. My colleagues at work were astonished I wasn't frothing at the mouth until I pointed them in the direction of far more brutal solutions routinely exercised elsewhere in the world and sadly in limited quantity here.

Compare and contrast how the Spanish farmers dispose of their hunting greyhounds Galgo's - google them but don't look at the pictures of the ones that aren't so lucky or are punished to death if you're squeamish- and Podenco dogs and the widespread indifference amongst the general populace and officialdom to their suffering, particularly so in the rural areas.

The difference throughout any example is in the blatancy of it in certain other countries. In Britain there aren't packs of feral dogs, there isn't a casual acceptance of abandonment and strays roaming the streets as a way of life. A pertinent e.g is our summer vs Sochi's winter olympics. The Russian authorities realised that the plethora of abandoned strays roaming the area would not look good on the international stage so decided on a round 'em up and kill 'em all policy. Cue international horror and outrage and even wealthy influential Russians eventually getting involved realising that this callous final solution to a long ignored problem would play out even worse than having left them alone.
Not a problem in London because there simply isn't the same societal attitude of booting animals out and not opening the door again and for those poor creatures that do get that treatment, people generally don't just look the other way but will at least call the council or local dog's home, they will be taken in and every effort made to return/rehome them. Not always successfully and some rescues have as little as 1 week before they'll consider putting an animal to sleep

it'd be a lovely thing to think the UK occupied a moral high ground but it doesn't by any means, it just doesn't sink as low as some other places do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom