A simple thing as a puncher !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pedal pusher

Veteran
Pick up a puncher today no big deal. Put the spare tube on and carried on. Noticed the tyre felt a bit odd. Every time the valve part of the tyre met the ground it felt like the tyre was bulging out giving a funny sort of lumpy ride. Got home and took the wheel off and noticed the tyre was all but off the wheel around the valve area. Took the tyre, tube off put it back on - same result. Tried a new tube-same result. No matter what I do I can't prevent the tyre bulging off the wheel and this is only at 40,50 psi. If I blew it up to normal pressure the tyre would blow of the rim. Any suggestions ?

This could be one of many things, but you're not the first to get this after a puncture.

As you put the new tube in (having removed the punctured one) be careful to make sure that the whole of the base of the valve is up inside the beading of the tyre. This can be easier if you partially inflate the tube before fitting and squish it into the tyre. Then you have simply to fit the tyre and align the valve and the valve hole in the rim.

There are gazillions of ways to fit a tube and tyre, but that one works quite well in most situations.

As you pump the tyre up to pressure, keep having a look at the beading near the valve, and make sure that it stays hooked onto the rim.

More information would make advice easier to dispense, but I hope this helps.

lukesdad

You havn t seated the rim of the tyre under the valve properly. Check the tyre body they usually have a mark running just above the wheel rim. make sure its even all the way round.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well if you get apiece of stationary designed to make holes in the tyre it will not work :smile:

Try pushing the valve head into the rim more so that the tyre seats properly on the rim edge , some times a bulge in the inner tube around the valve can stop the tyre sitting properly and have the effects you describe.

Puncture :smile:

Howtopuncturehero.jpg

Puncher...
Mini-Puncher_250x250.jpg

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Well if you get apiece of stationary designed to make holes in the tyre it will not work :smile:

Try pushing the valve head into the rim more so that the tyre seats properly on the rim edge , some times a bulge in the inner tube around the valve can stop the tyre sitting properly and have the effects you describe.

Puncture :smile:

Howtopuncturehero.jpg

Puncher...
Mini-Puncher_250x250.jpg

I beg to differ, good sir.

Puncher....

mike-tyson-11.jpg

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Put about 15 lb pressure in then check all round that the lip is caught in the rim .If its not let out pressure and work the lip in then try again before fully inflating. I get this with my sons mtb but never on my road or hybrid bike for some reason.Some tyres have a line around the circumference so you can see straight away if it isnt seated right.

OP
OP
Pedal pusher

Pedal pusher

Veteran
After removing putting on and removing many many times and with the obligatory spilling of the red stuff I managed to get the tyre seated properly. Must have repaired hundreds of tubes but never had this problem before. Thanks for all the advice.

Top Bottom