A simpler time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I do remember going up one of our local cat 3 climbs on my old steel Rudge with just 3 gears and never remember thinking that I wished I had more gears, lighter wheels, etc.................but then I was about 50 years younger. Lol
And some want even more! Start with 36, move upto 105 and then try for 150 & 165.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Helmets. Road rage. Daily Mail. Hi vis. E bikes. Close passes. Ronnie Pickering. Carbon fibre. Strava. Clipless pedals. Electronic shifting. Fixies. Adventure bikes. Heart rate monitors. Bluetooth connected gears. Hydraulic discs. Chris Boardman refusing to ride on the road. Suspension. Death kill slaughter. 29ers. Cheap far eastern carbon. Expensive far eastern carbon. Online only retailers. Indexed gears. BMX Bandits. Lance Armstrong....

Such a simple pass time or method of transport has become so damnably complicated. Does anyone hark back to simpler cycling time when one simply climbed upon ones bike and rode it? Ones cycling progression was simple - kids bike, cast off bigger bike, racer? Where the only drugs a professional cyclist might partake of was Woodbines? Where you weren't considered a slavering lunatic for riding a bike on a road because it was simply such a common eight back then?

Why is something so simple now so complicated, and are things any better, are we any happier with cycling today than we were back then?
Ah, yes: back when a red light jumper was just a light red jumper. :okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
Helmets. Road rage. Daily Mail. Hi vis. E bikes. Close passes. Ronnie Pickering. Carbon fibre. Strava. Clipless pedals. Electronic shifting. Fixies. Adventure bikes. Heart rate monitors. Bluetooth connected gears. Hydraulic discs. Chris Boardman refusing to ride on the road. Suspension. Death kill slaughter. 29ers. Cheap far eastern carbon. Expensive far eastern carbon. Online only retailers. Indexed gears. BMX Bandits. Lance Armstrong....

Such a simple pass time or method of transport has become so damnably complicated. Does anyone hark back to simpler cycling time when one simply climbed upon ones bike and rode it? Ones cycling progression was simple - kids bike, cast off bigger bike, racer? Where the only drugs a professional cyclist might partake of was Woodbines? Where you weren't considered a slavering lunatic for riding a bike on a road because it was simply such a common eight back then?

Why is something so simple now so complicated, and are things any better, are we any happier with cycling today than we were back then?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaBPpCoanVg

lutonloony

Über Member
I had a tricycle as a pup, with a sort of bread bin on the back. Used to cycle round the block on the pavement. ( guessing about 5 ish) All was fine til I cornered., or more precisely didn't, with too much gusto and went straight into the side of a bread van The driver took me to my house and made sure I was OK. no concept of complaining or demanding van was repaired, happy days,

classic33

Leg End Member
I had a tricycle as a pup, with a sort of bread bin on the back. Used to cycle round the block on the pavement. ( guessing about 5 ish) All was fine til I cornered., or more precisely didn't, with too much gusto and went straight into the side of a bread van The driver took me to my house and made sure I was OK. no concept of complaining or demanding van was repaired, happy days,
Did your trike have an optional trailer?

Laurentius

As you can see from my avatar, I had one of those as well.

screenman

Legendary Member

That guys posts on here, from Norfolk way I think.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
M.A.S.H. the series. Beautifaction of the compound. Mjr M. Houlihan to the young Korean after he'd brought the trees.

The line is from "To have and have not", very loosely based on the Hemingway novel and is said by Lauren Bacall to Humphrey Boggart. It contains some of the steamiest scenes in any film and given they subsequently got married so they weren't actually acting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom