A simpler time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I met my best life long mate when I was 5, we had a little fight after a minor bike accident or something.
Been mates ever since.
Life was simpler

As for the question, I seem to be trying to move away from all this modern madness, but you cant:banghead:

snorri

Legendary Member
Why is something so simple now so complicated, and are things any better, are we any happier with cycling today than we were back then?
Because big business saw a way of making money out of cycling.
Happy? I wasn't happy back then when I had to get off and push my bike up hills. Any less happiness now has been caused by government failing to provide for cycling whilst at the same time over providing for motorised transport and promoting car ownership as an indicator of "sucess".

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
As for the drugs, cyclists (and other sportspeople) have been taking drugs for as long as sports have existed. Taking strychnine for tired muscles, or cocaine to give you your 'second wind' was common even around the turn of the last century. What we've actually done is started to try and root it out of the sports, so now it's noticed more.

At risk of straying into CA&D territory, the idea that doping was less common in sport is up there with the idea that child abuse and paedophiles are a modern societal menace. Both existed at what appears now to be higher levels in the past than currently, but because they weren't being dealt with effectively at the time people didn't know about them as much.

classic33

Leg End Member
I remember hearing the firing line in a movie.

"You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow."

That's an over simplification of ever I heard one. That's not how you whistle: That's how you blow.

I forgot my point.
M.A.S.H. the series. Beautifaction of the compound. Mjr M. Houlihan to the young Korean after he'd brought the trees.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

I'd agree with this. Updated models every year where the same bike gets a cosmetic upgrade driving sales rather like the motor trade.

However it has to be appreciated the choice of bikes is huge now and the quality at the upper end is superb.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4991765, member: 9609"]I only join in with one of those - and what the bollox is blue tooth connected gears ?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am afraid this a thing.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Happy? I wasn't happy back then when I had to get off and push my bike up hills. Any less happiness now has been caused by government failing to provide for cycling whilst at the same time over providing for motorised transport and promoting car ownership as an indicator of "sucess".

When I was young and full of vim even a two up Chopper got pedalled up the hills. Age is my foe there, not technology.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
[QUOTE 4991908, member: 259"]1957. You turn 18, you start drinking pints of mild and smoking woodbines, you get married, have all your teeth taken out on the NHS, start wearing a flat cap and buy a whippet.[/QUOTE]

Funny I was talking about just this to someone the other day. It was actually a thing in the fifties and sixties to get all your teeth taken out on the NHS. My mother and grandmother got it done and there were no questions asked about it.

Top Bottom